Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Airport Express network settings do i need for my iPad to work with Yamaha Stagemix App?

Is anyone able to help me and offer a step by step guide of how to configure a brand new and latest Apple Airport Express with the right IP and network settings to work with stagemix on my iPad 2? I have followed all the basic user guide instructions and tried lots of different settings but to no avail. I am running the latest IOS7 and latest version of Yamaha M& stagemix app. Despite my ipad being connected to the network I get the following stagemix connection error: 'Connection failed. Check Wi-Fi Status.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Airport Express-OTHER, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 7:01 AM

7 replies

Oct 31, 2013 8:55 AM in response to steveweall

I don't actually have a Yamaha digital mixing console but I'm game to try to assist you with getting your iPad app working over the network.

First which Yamaha console do you have: LS9 or M7CL?

Regardless, the console by default, is a DHCP client and will attempt to get an IP address from the DHCP server built-in your router. If the AirPort Express is your main and only router than that is where it would be getting it from.

It this IP address that the iPad app needs to know in order to connect to the console. This is where I would strongly recommend that you configure the console with a static Private IP address instead so that the iPad can have an easier time "finding" it.

Oct 31, 2013 10:07 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your reply, being a network novice the DHCP explanation was very helpful.

Yes the Airport Express is the only router in use and will not be connect to the internet as i only want to use it as a wireless access point. The console is a M7CL and i can set its IP address on the console itself. By default it assigns itself 192.168.0.128 and also a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and has its own mac address of 00 A0 DE 6D C1 FA (with the IP and mac address required to be entered into the stagemix app settings). I assume the main problem is an IP address conflict? As the console has its own static and fixed (but manually changeable) IP address rather than receiving an IP address assigned from the Airport Express.

The wifi network (in the settings of the wifi network on my ipad) has a DHCP IP address of 10.0.1.2 and logging into Airport utility the Airport Express IP address is 169.254.96.172.

The Airport Utility shows my Ipad as a wireless client but there is no sign of the wired console to the AE as a client.

Any idea what would be a better order and range of IP addresses? So as you said the network can find the console more easily.

Many thanks

Therefore i think the

Oct 31, 2013 10:20 AM in response to steveweall

Yes the Airport Express is the only router in use and will not be connect to the internet as i only want to use it as a wireless access point.

Ok, so you will be using the Express as a standalone wireless network. By default, the Express will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a network name (aka SSID) of something like: Apple Network NNNNNN. It will also have its DHCP server service enabled and providing IP addresses in the range of 10.0.1.2 - 10.0.1.200

The console is a M7CL and i can set its IP address on the console itself. By default it assigns itself 192.168.0.128 and also a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and has its own mac address of 00 A0 DE 6D C1 FA (with the IP and mac address required to be entered into the stagemix app settings). I assume the main problem is an IP address conflict?

That is correct! Both the console and the Express are on different network subnets. This can easily be resolved by either changing the console to be on the Express' subnet or change the Express to hand out IP addresses in the same subnet (192.168.0.n) as the console.

The wifi network (in the settings of the wifi network on my ipad) has a DHCP IP address of 10.0.1.2 and logging into Airport utility the Airport Express IP address is 169.254.96.172.

That would be the correct for the iPad when it connected to the Express' wireless network. The second address is normal if the base station is not connected to another router that is assigning it an IP address. This address is known as a "self-assigned" IP address. Again both of these would be "normal" in this situation.

The Airport Utility shows my Ipad as a wireless client but there is no sign of the wired console to the AE as a client.

Yep, and that would be because the console is configured to be on another network subnet.

Any idea what would be a better order and range of IP addresses? So as you said the network can find the console more easily.

You have two choices: 1) Use the DHCP Reservation feature of the Express to assign a static private IP address to the console in the 10.0.1.x subnet, or 2) Change the subnet that the Express is on to the same one that the console is using. I would recommend the former. Both of these can be done via the AirPort Utility.

Oct 31, 2013 12:41 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you very much for the clear explanations. Ive now got the console on the network in the correct IP subnet with an address of 10.0.1.3 and all seems to be working perfectly. Now to see over time if it continues to work, as i know other uses have experienced issues when the ipad goes to sleep and the ipad/console looses connection to the network.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

What Airport Express network settings do i need for my iPad to work with Yamaha Stagemix App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.