Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a 2nd HDD

How do I find out if my Early 2008 24" iMac has a slot for a 2nd internal HDD?

My 320 GB internal is getting full and I would like to add a 2nd if possible.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 24-inch, Early 2008

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 8:10 AM

6 replies

Oct 31, 2013 8:43 AM in response to dsloan

Buy a portable second HD. Transfer your chosen files to it. Check that they are safely transferred. Then clear what you can from the internal HD.

The advantage of a portable, say 1Tb, is that you can store it (and its valuable contents) away from the machine, indeed, away from the house and therefore protect the contents against fire, theft, lightning strikes and whatever. I use such an HD; my entire system is on it and I top up every couple of months or so.

WD have a range of such portable HDs and I'm sure there are many others. Ideally it should be about 2 or 3 times the capacity of your internal HD. And continue to use Time Machine. What arrangements do you have for that?

Oct 31, 2013 8:47 AM in response to seventy one

I have three external HDs on my iMac. I run Aperture and all my image files are on the 'main' external HD and they are all backed up on a 2nd identical HD. The 3rd is used to back up my iTunes files and my Aperture Library. Right now the Aperture Library is located on the main external HD and I would like to move it back to my internal HD for better performance.

One route would be to move all my iTunes files off the internal HD on the the #3 external HD to free up about 50GB.

Oct 31, 2013 8:58 AM in response to dsloan

Yes, the iTunes files and iPhoto are the obvious targets. You could also consider buying a big capacity external HD and running your computer directly from that.

I don't think it would be worth considering buying a new Mac if the current one is working well. But if you did, you must first check that your apps will function with the totally different system that Mountain Lion (Mavericks) uses.

Adding a 2nd HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.