Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan Running Crazy

Hi gang!

I have a late 2012 Retina Macbook Pro. As of this writing, my fans are running at about 8500 rpms. I can reset the computer and it will go back to normal, but this happens with some regularity. Anyone else having this problem?

Todd

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 13", 8gb RAM, 256gb HD (late 2012)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 8:02 AM

3 replies

Nov 1, 2013 4:44 PM in response to toddpeperkorn

I have a mid-2012 retina MBP and I have noticed the same problem after upgrading to Mavericks. For no reason whatsoever the fan goes into overdrive and will not stop even if I close down tractically all the apps. However, if I put the MBP to sleep and wake it up after the fan stops everything is fine.

Once I noticed a coreaudiod daemon process taking a ton of CPU and killing this helped. But in other instances there seems to be minimal CPU activity reported in the the Activity Monitor yet the fan s going crazy.

Did the SMC reset help?

Fan Running Crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.