Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a cover to a book in iBooks

How do I add or change a cover of a book I have in iBooks (Mac, pad, & phone)?

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 3:11 PM

Thanks, I found http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681, and it’s link to the epub zip/unzip. I downloaded it, and had to change my security to run it (not from an identified developer).

I ran that utility to unzip the epub.

I opened the folder and saw a file named “cover.jpeg”, so I previewed my .jpg and exported it as cover.jpeg and replaced the one in the archive folder.

I zipped it up replacing the original book, then opened the book with the Mavericks ebook reader. Same old cover.

So I followed your directions more closely, previewing my .jpg and exporting it as a cover.png. I copied it into the folder, renamed it to iTunesArtwork, zipped it, and opened it with eReader again.

Still no luck. Then I discovered how to delete the book from my eReader. Eureka! Now it loaded with the new cover.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Bumbletwig

Thanks, I found http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681, and it’s link to the epub zip/unzip. I downloaded it, and had to change my security to run it (not from an identified developer).

I ran that utility to unzip the epub.

I opened the folder and saw a file named “cover.jpeg”, so I previewed my .jpg and exported it as cover.jpeg and replaced the one in the archive folder.

I zipped it up replacing the original book, then opened the book with the Mavericks ebook reader. Same old cover.

So I followed your directions more closely, previewing my .jpg and exporting it as a cover.png. I copied it into the folder, renamed it to iTunesArtwork, zipped it, and opened it with eReader again.

Still no luck. Then I discovered how to delete the book from my eReader. Eureka! Now it loaded with the new cover.

Nov 2, 2013 3:43 PM in response to Howard Brazee

I only use iBooks as a clumsy and cryptic way of getting books onto my iPad, and wish the books were still on iTunes.

After I changed the book on iBooks, it didn't change on my iPad. I went to my iPad and deleted the old book then synchronized the device. Still missing. I went to iTunes and found I no longer was synchronizing all books. I switched back to all books, and finally the book I changed was changed on my iPad.

Nov 2, 2013 2:12 PM in response to Howard Brazee

There is a way, but it is not particularly user friendly and you have to be comfortable rolling up your sleeves and reaching into the guts of an epub file.

1. Start with a .epub file that is not in the iBooks library.
  2. Unzip it. (I use "ePub Zip/Unzip 2.1.1")
  3. Save the artwork you want to use as the cover art as a .png file named iTunesArtwork (no extension)
  4. Copy that file to the top folder of the epub, replacing any existing file by that name.
  5. Rezip the epub.
  6. Import it into iBooks.
  7. iBooks will use the iTunesArtwork file as the cover art for the epub. This then transfers to your ios device when you sync.

Nov 11, 2013 4:43 AM in response to Howard Brazee

Tested and working:

How to edit iBooks meta data under Mac OS X Mavericks

First of all, I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER SOURCE. I take no credit nor responsibility.

IT WORKS

Edit metadata with Calibre for Mac

Although edit metadata with iBooks is impossible, it doesn't mean this is the end of the story. With another software, Calibre for Mac, we can edit book's metadata then load the book into iBooks for Mac app.

First we import the book into Calibre and delete it from iBooks

Right click on the book title, choose "Edit metadata", then "Edit metadata individually".

In this window we can customize almost all the important metadata, including adding a cover to the book

After you finish the editing, click "OK" to confirm.

But job is not finished yet, in fact the editing is only done in Calibre's library. To display the edited book in iBooks for Mac, we need add the editing into the book file.

No matter if we are adding cover or modifying other metadata like title, author & publisher, genre, etc. , converting the book to EPUB again is necessary, only in this way, we can completely edit the metadata inside the book, not only in Calibre library.

So the last step is to convert the book to EPUB, even this file is already an EPUB file.

Find the converted file in Calibre's library and drag it into iBooks for Mac, now we can see the book displayed in iBooks for Mac with all the gorgeous editing present.

Using the same method we can also add or modify other metadata like title, author & publisher, genre, etc. on Mac OS X Mavericks even the iBooks for Mac won't permit us to do so.

I have tried this and it works!!!

Nov 11, 2013 1:36 PM in response to ssolomon

you can also do this with pdfs. move the pdf into calibre. do your editing.

So the last step is to convert the book to pdf, even this file is already a pdf file.

Find the converted file in Calibre's library and drag it into iBooks for Mac, now we can see the book displayed in iBooks for Mac with all the gorgeous editing present.

Using the same method we can also add or modify other metadata like title, author & publisher, genre, etc. on Mac OS X Mavericks even if the iBooks for Mac won't permit us to do so.

I have tried this and it works!!!

Nov 11, 2013 5:16 PM in response to Howard Brazee

This is just a bit clunky for Apple. They have the greatest music library application. I just figured it would have the same ability we already had in iTunes. Now if you need to change anything on a PDF, I find preview is quite powerful. You sometimes have to export it or save it out, to change them. But once done you can delete or add things into the PDF that way.

Jun 22, 2015 2:08 PM in response to Howard Brazee

Easiest way without downloading or using external sources:

1. Download from Google Images the cover you wish your book to have onto your desktop

2. In your iBooks App: Go to "List" view.

3. Find your book, and drag the window to the side so you are able to see the image you just downloaded.

4. Drag and drop the downloaded image onto the book you wish to change.

5. It will ask "Are you sure you want to change this book's cover? The original cover will be permanently removed."

6. Click "Change cover... and you're good to go!User uploaded file

Adding a cover to a book in iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.