Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kingston USB 3.0 CF card reader error since updating to Mavericks

Since updating to Mavericks, my Kingston USB 3.0 multi card reader will not stay connected when attempting to import photos taken on my CF card. I shoot on the Canon 7D and Canon 5D mark III using several 32GB CF cards. These cards are from Sandisk (60MB/s UDMA) and Lexar Pro (32GB UDMA 300x). When I connect to my 15" Macbook Pro retina, the finder recognises the CF card briefly, then upon importing the contents of the CF OSX notifies me that the card has been ejected improperly. I have repetadly tested this with multiple different CF cards on the Macbook Pro Retina that has been updated to Mavericks and experienced the same error.

When I use my Kingston CF card reader and the same CF cards that wont stay connected on another 15" macbook pro retina that has NOT been updated to Mavericks, everything works fine.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, is there a fix for this available now, or coming soon!?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.3, Just updated to Mavericks

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 8:18 AM

6 replies

Dec 26, 2013 8:18 PM in response to la pixie

I had this exact issue under Mavericks and used this same approach to update the reader's firmware. Works fine now.

I would add the following:

1) Because this firmware updater only runs under Windows, I tried to run it in a Win 7 VM in VMWare Fusion 6 on a Mavericks host. No dice; the reader was never detected by the updater.

2) I had to use a real Win 7 PC, and even then I had a few issues with the updater freezing 80% through. I was ultimately successful after I let Windows completely go through its USB Mass Stage device detection process to the point where I could list the contents of my SD card in Windows Explorer, then running the updater as Administrator.

Jan 21, 2014 1:03 AM in response to TheYeags

hehe, wow. So, I suck at googling issues. I just found this and fixed my card reader. However, prior to that I took my laptop back multiple times to Apple. They couldn't figure it out and after 4 return trips, they swapped out the laptop for a brand new rMBP. I'm feeling pretty freaking awesome right now.

Sidenote: How stupid is it that Kingston recognizes the issue is with Macs, but you can't use your Mac to update the firmware?

Kingston USB 3.0 CF card reader error since updating to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.