Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal alerts not working on Macbook Pro since loading mavericks

Since loading Mavericks on my Macbook Pro, the calendar alterts have stopped working even though it is set up to do so. Is this a bug in the app or can someone suggest how to fix this?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 8:53 AM

31 replies

Nov 5, 2013 3:38 AM in response to plturn

Same problem here. Weekly or monthly alerts were working fine until Mavericks. Now some seem to work and most don't. When I enter new events those seem to work. But the repeated alerts that were in there before Mavericks have gone silent. No sound, no alert message. Obviously, I could hunt through the calendar and delete and re-enter all of them, but I have a LOT of repeating events. I'd rather see the issue solved.

Incidentally, going into the alert and changing the alert details (sound or time before the event) doesn't work. Also, I have no idea if this matters, but the alerts that are not working are also set up using time-zone support.

Nov 22, 2013 7:01 AM in response to plturn

Hoping that by adding one more message someone will take notice of the problem and fix it ASAP: I also have the same problem. Worse, I missed an important appointment because of this. Until now, I knew I could trust the calendar so I just waited for the alarm to get ready for any appointments/tasks I had. Today I checked my watch and I realize it was 10 minutes after I was supposed to meet someone. Dammit!

This is an important bug. A calendar without alerts is really an impaired calendar.

JM

Dec 5, 2013 12:01 AM in response to ShatteredSky

So, I tell the message to snooze until start time, or for 30 min or whatever. It snoozes then, but totally aberrantly Then when start time is reached, I finally can tell it to snooze for e.g. 2 hours (the heck I do not know why a snooze until after start time is not possible anymore initially), but I get no further reminders after that. So it is totally useless ...

Dec 14, 2013 10:07 AM in response to plturn

I have a similar problem.

Not sure if it was Lion or Mountain Lion that all day events have a default alarm of the day before. For me, with the birthdays calendar populating from Contacts, they still have the default alarm, but I spent all last year adding a second alarm for the day of the birthday (at 8am since that was the quick choice in ML), every time a birthday came up, and choosing to apply it to all future events.

Since installing Mavericks, all of those second alarms have been erased and the only ones that are in place are ones I've done for birthdays since installing (at 9am since that is the new quick choice) and some recurring appointments that are not all day events.

So now I have to spend the next year, or one big sitting, re-adding second alarms to all the birthdays. Frustrating.

Jan 11, 2014 3:45 PM in response to plturn

I've been using iCal alerts to trigger automatic captures in Final Cut Pro from a satellite feed for years. Updated to Mavericks and now I'm cooked. Nothing I do will fix my alerts. The Automator scripts I created workflawlessy when run from Automator, but when you make them an Calender alert I get nothing but error prompts.

Come on Apple stop making these updates so painful!!!😠

Jan 29, 2014 4:41 AM in response to plturn

If I set up an all-day event and set it to repeat every three months it works that far. If I then add an alert that is supposed to happen 15 days before each event at 9:00 it first seems to work, but then if I repen the event to inspect it, the altert has disappeard. Sometimes when I add an alert I can even see it disappear shortly after inserting it!

Please fix this. I missed paying a bill and had to pay extra because of this bug!

sincerely,

macmaxx

Feb 11, 2014 9:39 AM in response to plturn

Since updating to Mavericks lost alerts. Created new ones and repeated them dailey to open automator app. A few days later some of them have disappeared. Events are there but no alert. Have to delete all future events and start all over. Very buggy since updating. My business relies on these apps running on a schedule everyday for downloading reports and then importing them to filemaker server. Who is in charge at apple? If your os gets a few years old apple stops supporting it. If you stay up to date with all the updates they stop working. I'm not some kid playing on my computer at home, I'm trying to run my business. Wake up apple. Google is closing in.

Feb 27, 2014 9:17 AM in response to MacDruid

I'm glad I didn't spend one big sitting re-adding second alarms to all birthdays, because the ones I have done since the beginning of the year, have AGAIN been wiped out after updating to Mavericks 10.9.2 last night. I wonder what the point is in letting people add new alarms, if the default setting is to not have more than then the default dictates. WTH Apple?

iCal alerts not working on Macbook Pro since loading mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.