0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 11:11 AM by David_Ferguson
David_Ferguson Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a white MacBook running 10.6 Snow Leopard. I received it from a friend that had forgotten the admin pass, but is was still useable, as there was a standard user on it with no password that I could use. I then needed to install some new software, which required the admin password, so I followed the steps here to reset the password.

However, once I rebooted the Mac, it became stuck on the Apple Logo.

I have tried several different ways to make the Mac boot (start up from Install DVD and repair disk, run steps to reset password again), but none of them work. I know that I could simply use the install disk to reinstall the OS, but I have quite a lot of expensive software that I do not want to lose (Photoshop, Illustrator etc).

I have been able to gain access to the Hard Drive using Target Disk mode, but I know from previous experience that if I simply copy the applications across to an external HD, reinstall the OS and copy back, it will ask me for a license key (which I do not have).

Is there any solution to my problem?

Is there a file I should edit to make my computer boot?

Is there a location where Adobe programs store their license keys that I could copy to prevent me losing my software?

Thanks in advance

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)