Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Mavericks does not detect external monitor

After upgrading my MacBook Pro (15" Mid-2010, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB) to OSX 10.9, my Mac no longer detects my Cinema HD Display. Any help much appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Apple Cinema HD Display

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 1:44 PM

Howdy ProfPutr,

It sounds like your monitor was workinf fine before you upgraded to OS X 10.9 but now is not recognized. I recommend the troubleshooting steps from this article named:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1573#5

No video or no signal, image distortion, "snow," or flickering

Check connections

When using an external display be sure to check the following:

1. If you're using an Apple notebook, confirm the AC power cable or adapter is securely connected to the computer and the cable providing power to the display is also secure. It is always good to have your notebook connected to AC power when an external display is in use.
  2. Confirm display adapters are fully seated in their respective connections and that they are supported models and for the computer and display. Refer to these articles to assist you with adapter compatibility and further configuration information:
  3. Remove all display cable extenders, KVM switches, or other like devices and retest to determine if the issue is resolved.
  4. Try unplugging the video adapter or cable and then plug it back in.
  5. If more than one video adapter is in use (or "daisy-chained"), troubleshoot by using only one adapter.

Example: A mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI adapter is an unsupported configuration because there is a series of adapters in use.

6. If available, try using a different display and or adapter (or use a different connector by using DVI instead of VGA, for instance).

Reset the system
You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.Reset the resolutionStart by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displaysfrom the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2013 1:44 PM in response to profputr

Howdy ProfPutr,

It sounds like your monitor was workinf fine before you upgraded to OS X 10.9 but now is not recognized. I recommend the troubleshooting steps from this article named:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1573#5

No video or no signal, image distortion, "snow," or flickering

Check connections

When using an external display be sure to check the following:

1. If you're using an Apple notebook, confirm the AC power cable or adapter is securely connected to the computer and the cable providing power to the display is also secure. It is always good to have your notebook connected to AC power when an external display is in use.
  2. Confirm display adapters are fully seated in their respective connections and that they are supported models and for the computer and display. Refer to these articles to assist you with adapter compatibility and further configuration information:
  3. Remove all display cable extenders, KVM switches, or other like devices and retest to determine if the issue is resolved.
  4. Try unplugging the video adapter or cable and then plug it back in.
  5. If more than one video adapter is in use (or "daisy-chained"), troubleshoot by using only one adapter.

Example: A mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI adapter is an unsupported configuration because there is a series of adapters in use.

6. If available, try using a different display and or adapter (or use a different connector by using DVI instead of VGA, for instance).

Reset the system
You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.Reset the resolutionStart by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displaysfrom the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Dec 17, 2013 9:02 AM in response to profputr

I get this problem on my late 2009 macbook pro with an external dell monitor connected with a dvi adapter...

Sometimes to get it to work when it won't see the 2nd monitor,

1. I unplug the DVI cable then shut down the laptop
  2. start it keeping the 2nd monitor unplugged,
  3. once I am logged in, I plug in the 2nd monitor DVI adaptor and usually after a few plug and unplug attempts; the second monitor usually gets recognized and starts working again

this supremely frustrating and time consuming work around has been the only way i have got my 2nd monitor to work since the latest mavericks update....

GL HF 🙂

Dec 23, 2013 7:56 AM in response to BlackRockWeb

quick ammendment, unplug the dvi cable and then unplug the monitor from the dvi cable... then shut it down...

once you are logged in and everything is loaded, then plug in the dvi cable, and then connect the monito cable to the dvi cable...

following this process is the only way i can get it to recognize my dvi cable.

display mirroring is still not showing up in my menu bar, but everything else is g2g at least...

Jan 18, 2014 7:26 AM in response to sterling r

Sterling, I have had this exact problem on several versions of OSX. It was always quite easy to fix by click the "Detect Displays" button in display preferences. However, this is gone in 10.9. Can I still run this command via terminal, do you know why it was removed or what it's equivalent is? It was such a simple fix, and I am frustrated to see it removed.

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2014 12:33 AM in response to profputr

Hey anyone who has the "diamond monitor adapter" from displaylink.com or any other adapter from a company were you had to download some software in order to use it. I would highly suggest you checking out your product's company site and checking for updates. They might have updates that help with Mavericks. One failed attempt after another from dusk till dawn I'd been trying to solve the problem. But one final idea I had was to check the site and hope they had some sort of update that fix this problem. I have the "diamond monitor adapter" and I have a thunderbolt adapter for another monitor(The thunderbolt was detected from the start of me installing mavericks). The diamond monitor adapter wouldn't be detected until I check out the site and downloaded an update. If you have this adapter and have this problem just click the link and downlaod the update. - http://www.displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=110

Your mac should restart on its own then your mac and your monitor connected to thunderbolt's screen(Assuming you have dual monitors) should be active at the same time. Then once you make it to your desktop go to System Preference > Display and then it should detect the 2nd monitor instantly, but if not just go to "Gather windows" change it to Detect Displays using option(alt) and then it will instantly detect that 2nd monitor and you'll be so happy you want to help those who also had this problem like I'm doing now.

I really hope this helps because I couldn't find any other way.

May 27, 2014 2:47 AM in response to KillDash9

Thanks KillDash9. After hours of searching for a solution your suggestion worked in 3 seconds. It is this kind to foolish OS design that will send me running back to Windows. Why is making the "Detect display" button invisible regarded as good UI design my Apple? Amazing lack of usability for such a simple need. Thanks again.

Jul 1, 2014 2:32 AM in response to Ricc83

Same here. I had some issues in the evening so I turned my MBP off. After starting it in the morning the external display was not recognized any more. I've tried it with two monitors, with adapter and direct mini display cable, tried all of the suggestions listed above, but nothing. I'm very disappointed...

OSX Mavericks does not detect external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.