Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS on Ipad 4th Gen WiFi only

Hello, can you tell me if the iPad 4th Gen WiFi Only will provide GPS services sufficient to run navigation apps such as Apple Maps and Google Maps. I am confused by some reports which state that any GPS positioning is carried out by the cellular chip - which I understand to be absent on the WiFi only model.

I plan to use my iPhone 5 to tether to the iPad, so that I at least have internet connection through the iPhone's 3G connection, but I really want to be able to use the iPad/iPhone combination as a SatNav facility too.

I have tried sales and they cant help - referring me to Tech Support. Tech support seem confused and have suggested it "Probably" can, but wont confirm this in writing.

I do not intend to buy the iPad with the possibility that this is true. I would really like a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

iPad, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 12:54 PM

The WiFi only iPad does not have a GPS chip and does location through WiFi routers. Tethering to your iPhone will allow you to use the GPS chip on it and utilize Apple and Google Maps.

1 reply

GPS on Ipad 4th Gen WiFi only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.