Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade RAM in an iMac G4

I have a 700MHZ iMac G4 and I would like to upgrade the ram to 1GB. The 256mb that was in the unaccible spot has been removed by soimeone and they stripped the head of the T-15. Now I cant get to that spot. Is it possible to stick 1GB in the user accesible so-dimm memory spot or do I have to do 512mb in one and 512mb in the other to get a gigabyte? I really dont want to remove that screw. Please help!

iMac (Flat Panel), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 1:10 PM

10 replies

Oct 31, 2013 1:26 PM in response to therich123

Accessing the non-user installation slot is very difficult, and could result in a damaged arm holding the display that won't stay up, or insufficient cooling from the pads. There is a special neck adjuster mechanism that only certain authorized service centers have. You may have to call them around, once you get the right module.

Oct 31, 2013 1:32 PM in response to a brody

I really don't get all the fuss. I have accessed it before it was stripped once, then I stripped it. It's the slot on the motherboard. I forgot to put that RAM stick back in and all I want to do is leave it empty and just stick in a 1gb stick on the user accessible slot. I really don't see why it wouldn't work if the max it will take is 1gb. As for the particular ram it takes, I was going to buy the ram off of ebay due to the ram is take being dirt cheap. I cant live with 256mb in the user accible ram slot, I want at least a gigabyte in there.

Oct 31, 2013 1:43 PM in response to a brody

But is it possible to just put a 1gb stick in the user accessible slot instead of doing it equally among the 2 slots. I'm not looking for performance, just to give it away to someone who needs a setup, but can't afford one. Is it possible? I don't want to mess with that round headed t-15 screw. I hate screw extraction. Can I just stick a 1gb stick of ram and put it in the user accessible section so I dont have to extract that t-15 or must I be forced to do that? Also, could you tell me the type of RAM that user-accesible stick is? I think its SO-DIMM, but I am not sure.

Oct 31, 2013 11:02 PM in response to therich123

The memory controller is programmed to recognize a maximum chip density for memory modules soldered on the DIMM or SO-DIMM card. That's why a 512 MB card in each memory slot is recognized, for a total of 1 GB of installed memory. A single 1 GB memory card in either slot would contain chips with greater density than the controller can recognize. For the internal memory slot, a compatible 168-pin DIMM will be PC-133, non-ECC, unregistered/unbuffered, have 16 chips on the card (8 on each side), and preferably be CL2 (although CL3 is OK).

How to upgrade RAM in an iMac G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.