Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is OS Mavericks and Voiceover kit not compatible?

Here is the background:

I bought a macbook pro this year and updated to OS mavericks several days ago. I also updated itunes to its latest version. then I bought a iPod shuffle (most recent 4th generation) couple of days ago. I never expect I will experience any problem when setting up my new iPod.

When I tried to install voiceover following the itunes instructions, an error message with an error code of 1701 pop up. The voiceover kit was never installed. I tried to restore ipod, restart computer, reinstall itunes, replug device, etc. and nothing worked.

This is very disturbing because I never expect that Apple cannot even make its own products compatible. That is to say, I cannot use the full feature of an Apple product that I just bought just because I installed the newest version of Apple's own operating system? I mean If it's windows related then it may be justifiable.

I then read some similar threads here and it seems that I am not the single one experiencing the same problem. I will try to install voiceover on my wife's Macbook air tonight (fortunately she didnt update to OS Mavericks).

Can anyone clarify? If it is not compatible, I hope the later update of Mavericks can very soon fix this problem. Again, an unpleasant experience with apple's product today.

iPod shuffle, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 1:29 PM

6 replies

Nov 23, 2013 4:43 AM in response to littleaaa

Hi - I have exactly the same issue with my Mac Mini running Mavericks on a Shuffle I bought 3 weeks ago.

I spoke to a nice lady from Apple support on the phone during the week who, after checking with "the engineering team" confirmed that there is a compatibility issue between VoiceOver and Mavericks.

Apparently this will be fixed in a future iTunes update, but she was unable to give me a timescale for this.

In the interim, the only solution is to hook your shuffle up to either a Mac running Mountain Lion or earlier or to a windows machine to install the VoiceOver Kit.

Sadly I don't have either available to me, so I'm thinking of playing around in Time Machine to see if I can get my Mini running on Mountain Lion long enough to install the kit, but I'm not exacly sure how that works.

Incidentally, all the Macs in the Genius Bar at my local Apple store (Milton Keynes) are also running Mavericks, so they can't help. I would have thought they'd have at least one machine running a previous OS for exactly these sort of compatibility issues. But - maybe Genius is a bit of an over-used word.....

Is OS Mavericks and Voiceover kit not compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.