Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some smart album rules not working

At a bit of a loss here - either my upgrade to Mavericks or my upgrade of Aperture to 3.5 has caused my Smart Albums to not work with various EXIF checking rules.

I frequently have rules which check the EXIF tag, Camera Make, and check if it is Canon - this allows me to filter out and focus on my Canon 5D3 photos and not get distracted in relatively pointless editing of iPhone snaps. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Camera Make is Canon returns no matches, Camera Make starts with Canon returns nothing, Camera Make ends with Canon returns nothing.

If I go and look at a photo, I can see the Camera Make exif flag says "Canon" in the field. No spaces at the end or anything silly. It used to work.

Anyone experienced similar? Anyone have solutions?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 1:35 PM

11 replies

Oct 31, 2013 3:06 PM in response to léonie

Hmm, interesting. Given your use of quotes I just tried "Canon" including the double quotes, but that made no difference either.

The EXIF filter is the only rule on the smart album, and while the smart album is set for a single project, there are several hundred photos that should match in it. If I set the smart album to "Library" rather than the project, it still matches none...! Just in case there's some other rule burried away that just isn't displayed, I switched the smart album to "Match Any" rather than "All", and that too returns no photos.

:-/

Oct 31, 2013 3:25 PM in response to léonie

Hmm, so if I create a new library and put two photos in there, one from a Canon, one not, the smart filter works. Of course, I've tried this using only jpegs. I'll try in a sec with a raw too.

I've not repaired it recently. Actually I just poked about the menus and couldn't see anything to do with repair of a library.

Edit - works fine with raws too in the new library...

Some smart album rules not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.