Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

snapshots.db

Mavericks is creating a large (currently 1.5 GB) and continuously growing file: /private/var/db/systemstats/snapshots.db

It gets updated every minute, does not get copied to the TimeMachine backup, but it does get copied to a SuperDuper clone.

What is it and can I delete it and prevent its recreation?

Thanks

iMac 27-in late 2009; 2.8 GHz i7 8 GB memory; OS X 10.9

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 2:08 PM

17 replies

Nov 1, 2013 1:21 AM in response to dbmacdon

Update: the file grew to 1.62 GB overnight. I found a way to exclude the contents of the /private/var/db/systemstats/ folder in a SuperDuper clone. The cloned drive starts fine and begins repopulating the systemstats folder with files like

current_build

current_boot_uuid

E9FEFFF3-6F56-4FFD-82CB-0FB294678874.boot.events.HIiYCX.stats

E9FEFFF3-6F56-4FFD-82CB-0FB294678874.powerd.events.T812iB.stats

E9FEFFF3-6F56-4FFD-82CB-0FB294678874.system_events.events.3otafr.stats

E9FEFFF3-6F56-4FFD-82CB-0FB294678874.system_events.periodic.Z0dED4.stats

And, of course:

snapshots.db

snapshots.db-shm

snapshots.db-wal

Then the snapshots.db file grows progressively. It persists with shutdown or restart. I see no reason to have what appears to be a large and infinitely growing system statistics database file eating up disk space...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nov 4, 2013 1:36 AM in response to dbmacdon

Update:

After snapshots.db reached 1.74 GB I deleted the contents of /private/var/db/systemstats/ while booted from a cloned drive. The main drive then booted normally with an empty systemstats folder and began repopulating that folder as above. After only one day, it has grown to 370 MB, almost all due to the progressively expanding snapshots.db file. Before doing this I had noticed that the various .stats files in the folder are automatically trimmed to the last four days, but the snapshots.db file seems to just keep growing. I do not know if the system would eventually limit its size, but 300 MB is already too large for such an unneccessary system-generated file. Perhaps some users would be interested in having this file to examine historical power usage or other statistics, but I am not. Maybe this should be optional? It could become a critical issue for users who install OS X on a small partition.

Short of intermittently deleting the systemstats folder contents, is there anyway to prevent this progressive disk space consuming behaviour?

Thanks

Nov 10, 2013 4:51 PM in response to dbmacdon

I'm having the same issue-

I actually have the same imac /model as you as well

As soon as I installed Mavericks I couldn't back up with timemachine- it would stall and quit.

Then tried CarbonCopy Cloner and it got to the same file

/private/var/db/systemstats/snapshots.db and crash...

Mine is already 160mb.

Now I'm getting a unrepairable HD error in disk utility- S.M.A.R.T. error

Taking it in for Apple Care Tuesday- (luckily I'm covered until the end of this month).

Will update when I go in on Tuesday.

Nov 18, 2013 12:54 AM in response to Toddjim

This was not my original issue per se. TimeMacine and cloning worked fine. SMART status is OK. There may be something else wrong with your system.

My only problem was that snapshots.db grew excessively large. After deleting it along with all other contents of /private/var/db/systemstats as well as all folders named com.apple.launchd.peruser.* in /private/var/log/ while booted from an external drive and then rebooting the main drive, the involved files.folders were automatically recreated and the problem has not yet reappeared. My current snapshots.db file has reached 190 MB, but does not seem to be growing further.

Regards,

Feb 13, 2014 2:54 PM in response to dbmacdon

You ever get a resolution on this?

I got the TM error that I had a faulty backup and had to restart mine. Then I decided to start a new Carbon Copy Clone in the same directory on my NAS (previous one was via admin user before enabling Time Machine support, now all is 'proper'). Now I'm getting a gig or more per day via CCC and 100-200mb an hour via TM, which makes no sense since I am a coder and all I am editing most of the day is text files.

Apr 15, 2014 6:40 AM in response to Bauguess

Here is how I solved my large snapshots.db problem. First, I tracked it to an excessive number of ‘freelist pages’. The snapshots.db file is an sqlite database. It accumulates ‘pages’ of system statistics for several days and then begins deleting old entries, but those pages are not actually deleted and returned to free disk space. Instead, they are kept in the file as freelist pages to be filled with subsequent data. Thus, the file doesn’t shrink as old entries are deleted. In my case, the file grew to over 2 GB. At some equlibrium point it stops growing because there are always enough freelist pages to accomodate new entries.

You can find out the number of freelist pages by typing this command in the terminal from an administrator account (you’ll have to enter your password when prompted):

sudo sqlite3 /private/var/db/systemstats/snapshots.db "PRAGMA freelist_count;"

This returned > 400000 in my case. If the same is true for your situation, then the following procedures might help:

A temporary solution to ‘vacuum’ the freelist pages was contributed by Linc Davis (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5735772):

sudo sqlite3 /private/var/db/systemstats/snapshots.db "vacuum;"

This works, but the file then just resumes growing. The command can be repeated when the file seems too big, but I grew tired of monitoring it.

A permanent solution is to set the snapsjots.db file to ‘auto_vacuum’ mode, in which freelist pages are automatically returned to free disk space as old data is deleted. To do this, you vaccum the file, then set auto_vacuum=1 and then immediately vaccum it again. Once this is done, you no longer have to manually vaccum. My snapshots.db file now varies between 0 - 300 MB, depending on recent computer use. The procedure I used follows:

In the terminal, type

sudo sqlite3 /private/var/db/systemstats/snapshots.db

This opens the sqlite3 command line interface. You should see something like:

SQLite version 3.7.13 2012-07-17 17:46:21

Enter ".help" for instructions

Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"

sqlite>

Now, at the sqlite> prompt, type:

VACUUM; PRAGMA auto_vacuum=1; VACUUM;

The process may take a while to complete and will end by returning the sqlite> prompt. You can then check the freelist page count and auto_vacuum status by typing:

PRAGMA freelist_count; PRAGMA auto_vacuum;

This should return:

sqlite>

You can then exit the sqlite command line interface with ctl-D. You can learn more about sqlite commands at: https://sqlite.org and https://www.sqlite.org/sqlite.html

Good Luck!

Apr 15, 2014 6:49 AM in response to dbmacdon

I think you need to research what snapshots are before messing with them. I've had snapshots all the way up to 50GB. They will be deleted if your hard drive gets full. If you are so worried about them accumulating then just turn snapshots off. The following comman will turn off snapshots, sudo tmutil disablelocal.

Research at the following link: http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

Apr 15, 2014 9:15 AM in response to dbmacdon

That file is used for energy consumption calculations. Systemstats runs a daemon hourly and once a day it is summarized. Time machine by default does not include db in it's backups. The only way to turn off this summary is to unload the systemstats daemon.

Best to leave it alone and let it do it's stuff.

Apr 15, 2014 9:24 AM in response to ssls6

Yes, the system statistics it tracks have to do with energy. Since I have zero interest in that, I dislike having > 2 GB disk space commitment to it. According to Apple its supposed to be 70 - 150 MB. Simply turning the auto_vacuum mode keeps it in its intended size range automatically and otherwise lets it do its stuff normally, so that was the solution that appealed to me.

Regards

May 26, 2015 3:16 AM in response to dbmacdon

I am very displeased to report that this problem has absolutely NOT been fixed already. I am on Yosemite 10.10.3, the very latest as of today, and just had to get rid of an 18.9GB snapshots.db file that was still growing quite rapidly. The vacuum command failed with an error about "string or blob too large" so I had to reboot and delete everything in the folder. I set auto_vacuum, hopefully that will keep it from going nuts this time.

snapshots.db

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.