Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to insert a 'Name' in Pages?

I am creating a document in Pages, to replace an MS Word document I have previously used.

It contains 2 tables with formulae based on one set of values. In Word I gave each value a 'name' and used it in the formulae to avoid multiple entires. So far, in Pages, it seems I can only use values in the same table, so I will have to enter the values twice. This makes the document look repetitive.

Does anyone have the answer?

Thanks in hope,

Ken

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 2:39 PM

21 replies

Nov 2, 2013 11:29 AM in response to kenem

Hello Ken,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with creating a formula that references a data in a different table. To reference the data in the different table, you will just need to click on the cell in the alternate table when building the formula:

Add, subtract, multiply, or divide values

You can create simple or complex arithmetic formulas to perform calculations on the values in your tables.

1. Click the cell where you want the result to appear, then type the equal sign (=).The formula editor opens. Drag the left side of the formula editor to move it. User uploaded file
  2. Select a cell to use as the first argument in your formula, or type a value (for example, a number such as 0 or 5.20).
  3. Type an arithmetic operator (for example, +, -, *, or /), then select a cell to use as the next argument in your formula, or type a value.By default, + is inserted between cell references.
  4. Continue adding operators and arguments until your formula is complete, then press Return or click User uploaded file in the formula editor when you’re done.If you click User uploaded file, you exit the current cell without saving your changes.

In step 2, just click the cell from the alternate table to reference that cell in your equation.

Calculate values using data in table cells

http://help.apple.com/pages/mac/5.0/#/tana41710df7

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Nov 4, 2013 2:06 AM in response to sheila_m.

Thanks but this Sheila but.....

I cannot click on a cell in a different chart when I am in the formula editor; one click and nothing happens, two and it closes. I have tried all key combinations that I can think of but nothing works.

It seems to me that each table would need it's own reference for this to work or, as I said originally, a cell would need a unique reference - 'name'.

Nov 9, 2013 1:02 PM in response to kenem

It is unlikely that it would be possible. If you import a Word document with cross referencing of tables, the cross reference is deleted, isn't it? That is a good indication that one cannot enter it manually in Pages.

In earlier versions, I tried to do some clever things with Applescript, but even there it was fairly clear that it would not work.

Nov 9, 2013 2:14 PM in response to kenem

Ken,

This is a victory for Pages users; Tables being able to reference other Tables in Pages. For all that was lost in the upgrade, we must give this particular feature gain its due.

I don't see any way to name tables, but they now do have names and you can use them to reference from one table to another. Since the names aren't displayed in any way that I have located, I suppose that you are supposed to use the point and click addressing technique when building expressions. To learn a table's name, use point and click to reference it from another table and make a note of the name that appears in the expression you are editing.

Jerry

Is it possible to insert a 'Name' in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.