Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Westell 7550 and AirPort Extreme

I am connected to the internet by a Westell 7550 modem/wireless router (AT&T). I also have an Apple Extreme base station (A1301) that I haven't used in a couple of years.

How do I connect the Apple to the Westell to boost my signal strength?

MacBook, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 4:33 PM

1 reply

Oct 31, 2013 5:25 PM in response to Tom Harjo

Establish a permanent Ethernet cable connection between the ATT modem/router and the AirPort Extreme. Specifically, connect from a LAN <-> port on the ATT device to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

You can run an Ethernet cable up to 300+ feet or 100 meters with virtually no signal loss, so you should be able to locate the AirPort Extreme exactly in the area where it will be needed.

Use AirPort Utility on your Mac to configure the AirPort Exteme to "create a wireless network" using the exact same wireless network name, same wireless security setting, and same password as the ATT wireless network.

AirPort Utility will suggest that the AirPort Extreme be configured to operate in Bridge Mode, which would be the correct setting in this case.

Westell 7550 and AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.