Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 adding unwanted alerts to events in Calendar

I have been trying to determine the root cause of an issue with my iOS calendar app for the past few days. I originally thought this was an iCloud issue, but now I believe that a bug was introduced in iOS 7.0.3 that is automatically appending the iOS default alert value to events synced from iCloud, resulting in extra (unwanted) alerts.

On all of my iOS devices I have a default alert time of "15 minutes before" in my settings for Events in my calendar. Since upgrading to iOS 7.0.3 last week, I have noticed that when I create a new event on my iMac with any alert value other than "15 minutes before," my iOS device will show TWO alerts for the event - the one I specified on my iMac as well as the value of the default alert time in iOS. So instead of getting alerted just once at the start of an event, I get alerted twice - 15 minutes before and then again at the start of the event.

However, if I change my iOS default alert setting to None and then create a new event on my iMac, the new event will correctly alert me only at the time I specified. So, it's a viable workaround to the original issue/bug, but now I have to specify alert times for every event that I create on the device rather than being able to have a default value. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

I was wondering if anyone else happened to notice this behavior in their iOS calendar as well.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2014 11:11 PM

In case anyone is still having this problem...

Jack7513 didn't mention anything about Google Calendar in the original issue, but I have been syncing with Google Calendar (GCal) and had this same issue. If you use GCal, this may be your solution:

> Open Google Calendar online

> Locate "My Calendars" on the left sidebar

> Open the drop-down menu next to the calendar(s) you sync to your iOS device or Calendar in OS X

> Select "Reminders and Notifications"

> At the top next to "Event Reminders" remove all reminders listed next to "By default, remind me via..." using the "remove" link to the right of each one

> Click "Save" at the top or bottom of the page

Cheers,

zdlyons

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2014 11:11 PM in response to Jack7513

In case anyone is still having this problem...

Jack7513 didn't mention anything about Google Calendar in the original issue, but I have been syncing with Google Calendar (GCal) and had this same issue. If you use GCal, this may be your solution:

> Open Google Calendar online

> Locate "My Calendars" on the left sidebar

> Open the drop-down menu next to the calendar(s) you sync to your iOS device or Calendar in OS X

> Select "Reminders and Notifications"

> At the top next to "Event Reminders" remove all reminders listed next to "By default, remind me via..." using the "remove" link to the right of each one

> Click "Save" at the top or bottom of the page

Cheers,

zdlyons

Oct 1, 2014 9:24 AM in response to sk810

I have the same situation as described by sk810 -- there are no default reminders for the calendars and on google calendar there are no reminders for the events. But if I look on iCal on my iPhone, *most* of the events have a reminder set so I am getting reminded about tons of stuff that I just want to have displayed on my calendar. 😝 I cannot make any rhyme or reason as to why some events have reminders and others do not.

This problem started when I upgraded to iOS 7 and still exists on iOS 8.

Nov 7, 2014 3:37 PM in response to Jack7513

This is still a huge problem, and turning off default notifications is not even remotely a solution. Default notifications is necessary so that when I create an event on purpose, it has the right settings. But there's no logic to the idea that a notification created in (say) Google Calendar would then have a different set of alerts added to it just because it's being synced to my iPhone. THAT is the problem here; the iPhone subscribes to a calendar and then doesn't respect that calendar's events' own alert settings, but rather imposes the default on to them.

Unfortunately this appears to be a longstanding bug in iOS and there's no hope for it except to wait for Apple to get a clue.

Dec 21, 2014 9:59 AM in response to omgoleus

It really does suck. I had set up a very detailed schedule and alerts to go with them. When I would sync it to my phone one of the alerts would automatically be changed to match the default set by my phone. It wouldn't even have the decency to add a new alert! I would just hijack one of the ones I set myself on google and change it to alert me two days before.

Mar 31, 2015 3:03 PM in response to omgoleus

I can't believe this is still a problem - through two major releases - reminders a basic and necessary function. My calendars live in Google. My all day events have no reminders in Google, nor do I set any when I create them. The app I create them in have no default reminders. My Google calendars have no default reminders. My iOS app has no default reminders. Yet, iOS devices remind me every day at 9AM what my all day events are for the following day. I do not want to kiss Debbie. I have tried deleting my Google account (calendar/mail/contacts) from iOS, restarted iOS, re-added Google account and, by default, all day events have the same 1 day before (at 9AM) reminder set. This bug is maddeningly annoying.

Apr 30, 2015 1:13 AM in response to iamatleast13yearsold

I don't know if this will help, but I just found under preferences in the calendar app on my mac (which I never use) alert settings that set default alerts to exactly the time that they are popping up on my iPhone. Even though I don't use the calendar app on my Mac, I am wondering if when it is syncing the calendars to itself in the background if it is adding alerts and then syncing them back to Google and/or syncing them via iCloud to my IOS devices.
Off to experiment, but thought I'd mention another place where there are defaults you may have missed.
Hope this is helpful.

May 14, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Jack7513

I have now fixed this problem. I use Google Calendar, an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook Pro - the latter three all on the latest iOS or OSX version respectively.

The final part of the fix was going into the Calendar app on the MacBook and changing the default notification settings to match them on the others (i.e. no notifications, ever). Despite the fact that I create all my appointments either on the iPhone in the Calendar App or on Safari on the MacBook on the Google Calendar page itself, the Calendar app on the MacBook seems to have been adding the notifications without being asked. I never chose to open the Calendar app on the MacBook, although sometimes it gets opened accidentally.

So, my suggestion would be to think about everything that syncs with your calendars and check every single one of them separately. Because I never use the Calendar app on the MacBook it took me months to realise that the Calendar app was the culprit.

Hope this helps you 🙂

May 15, 2015 12:09 PM in response to BikingPastor

So I dug a little deeper :-)

I have connected Apple Calendar apps for my user accounts on a my Mac, my wife's Mac, a work Mac, and my iPhone. Each of those had no default alerts - confirmed since the very beginning of this problem. What I had overlooked was that my wife and I share calendars, so where it comes to those there were Calendar apps for user accounts on her Mac, my Mac, her iPhone, and her iPad! Today I found in her account on her Mac the default set to 1 Day Before (9 AM). I removed it and problem solved.

So for all concerned here...

Review ALL accounts on ALL Apple devices, and if you share calendars the default alerts for their accounts will be firing on your devices too!

That said, I believe there may be a way to ignore alerts on shared calendars. Something to look in to.

May 15, 2015 12:32 PM in response to iamatleast13yearsold

Thanks for this- I read someone having the same issue elsewhere. Do you and your wife share a google calendar or one of the iOS cals? I'm finding the issue with a Google calendar only. I'm wondering if this means I have to harass everyone on my team to figure out who has their alerts set to 1 day ahead or just the admins on the calendar. Wishing I could just delete the calendar but unfortunately it's something I need!

iOS 7 adding unwanted alerts to events in Calendar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.