Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting a Smart Group from Contacts Problem

I upgraded to Mavericks this week, and have run into a problem where I can't delete a SmartGroup from Contacts. I highlight the group, hit the delete key, confirm that I want to delete the group, but nothing happens. There are also a couple of Smart Groups that crash Ad

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 6:40 PM

4 replies

Oct 31, 2013 6:59 PM in response to Tom Ropers

First, backup you Contacts.

Go to your AddressBook folder which is here:

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

You can triple-click the above path and copy it. Then go to the Finder and select Go To Folder from the Go menu. Paste in the path and click Go.

In the AddressBook folder is an index called AddressBook-v22.abccdb.

Delete that file, then open Contacts. It will rebuild it and you can then hopefully delete the groups.

Oct 31, 2013 7:20 PM in response to Barney-15E

No joy. I tried this, and then also deleting that file plus AddressBook-v22.abcddb-shm, AddressBook-v22.abcddb-wal, and the various .abcdg files in Metadata. Once I launch AddressBook, all the Smart Groups are back, and new files are populated in Metadata.

What finally "solved" the problem is to go to my previous laptop, delete *all* groups, smart or otherwise, and export the contacts. I copied that export to the new computer, imported it, and so far all seems well. I'll recreate some of the groups, which is a bit of a pain, but at least Contacts seems to not crash now.

Deleting a Smart Group from Contacts Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.