Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing Mavericks my dvd player quit working

Any advise, after intalling Mavericks my dvd/cd player quit working in my macbook pro.

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 6:31 PM

63 replies

Nov 7, 2013 3:12 PM in response to Bpiper55

FYI c.r.bock and sesweitzer...Not sure if it's a coincidence but my flash was not working either and after I followed this advice from dominic23 and rebooting my computer again my dvd player is working fine. Very Strange but I'm very thankful it's working now.

dominic23

1. System Preferences > Other/ Flash Player > Advanced > Delete All

Press the "Delete All" button

Install Adobe Flash Player.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Quit Safari.

Restart computer. Relaunch Safari.

2. Enable Plug-ins

Safari > Preferences > Security

Internet Plug-ins > "Allow all other plug-ins

Press " Manage Website Settings" button for more options.

Nov 8, 2013 11:01 AM in response to Bpiper55

@Bpiper55: Thanks for the tip. Tried it out. No luck.

@baltwo: Thanks, had tried. Tried again resetting NVRAM/PRAM as well as resetting SMC. No effect on internal superdrive.

Have tested DVDPlayer app - it works well with external USB apple cd/dvd drive.

Still internal superdrive worked before installing Mavericks. Afterwards it is dysfunct. DVDs are read, two or three clicks and then ejected. No sign of dvd on Finder etc.

Thanks, any way.

Nov 8, 2013 1:34 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks baltwo,

Well it is with Mavericks as OS the drive does not work. The point is really that in stead of upgrading to Mavericks the iMac was rebuild from scratch with Mavericks. Hence it could be a missing driver or an erroneous Mavericks setting.

The drive can read, e.g. when using the drive as start up disk with the original DVD. It recognises that it is the old disk but states – from my recollection – something "cannot be used as it contains software for Power processors no longer supported."

Hence, the iMac cannot rebuild it from the old start-up dvd and lift it up through the various OS X versions. [That is another issue altogether.]

Nov 8, 2013 1:39 PM in response to c.r.bock

c.r.bock wrote:

Thanks baltwo,

Well it is with Mavericks as OS the drive does not work. The point is really that in stead of upgrading to Mavericks the iMac was rebuild from scratch with Mavericks. Hence it could be a missing driver or an erroneous Mavericks setting.

The drive can read, e.g. when using the drive as start up disk with the original DVD. It recognises that it is the old disk but states – from my recollection – something "cannot be used as it contains software for Power processors no longer supported."

Hence, the iMac cannot rebuild it from the old start-up dvd and lift it up through the various OS X versions. [That is another issue altogether.]

If it were Mavericks, then everybody would be experiencing this. Sounds more likely that you have a hardware issue that has just come to light through updating your software. These things are sometimes shown up under the strain of the upgrade. HardDrives can fail as well, mostly from being on the verge of failing anyhow. A trip to your Apple Store seems to be on the cards.

Good Luck

Pete

Nov 8, 2013 2:02 PM in response to c.r.bock

c.r.bock wrote:

Pop in the install DVD, System Preferences->Startup Disk->select the DVD, and click on Restart. If that doesn't work, pop in the disk, restart, holding down the OPTION key, select the install DVD after the Startup Manager loads, and click the arrow underneath it.

Nov 12, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Bpiper55

I'm having the same issues. Mavericks OS is giving me fits with my internal SuperDrive. I reset the PRAM and the SMC. This worked....for one DVD. The next one I tried to play would NOT play. I reset teh SMC again. The DVD played. I then tried a third DVD. Again, the DVD did NOT play.

This isn't a hardware issue as the SuperDrive was working fine befoe upgrading to Mavericks. Head cleaning is not the answer as AGAIN the SuperDrive was working before Mavericks.

24" i3 iMac 3 GHz, OS X Mavericks 10.9, 4 GB RAM

After installing Mavericks my dvd player quit working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.