Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to put thermal paste when I open up into the motherboard?

I own an iMac G4 700MHZ that I opened up recently, and I was wondering if I need to reapply the thermal paste. I noticed a weird heatsink or heat tubeing that consists of metal rods, and I saw a spot that has thermal paste on it, so I am wondering if the weird custom heatsink needs new thermal paste. If it does, which is what I am assuming, then what would be the best brand that is affordable (none of these $20 tubes, stay on the lines of $5-10) for my iMac G4. Thanks.

iMac (Flat Panel), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 11:40 PM

Anytime you break the thermal compound's bond between the two surfaces, the old compound should be removed and re-applied. Basic thermal paste will be adequate, and it's not very expensive. Some users prefer to spend more for newer compounds that are supposed to have superior thermal transfer properties, and there may be some benefit to doing so. Using a plastic tool, clean off the residual thermal paste from the 4 mating surfaces. Don't scrape it with a metal or abrasive tool. The base's mounting screws are supposed to be tightened evenly to 17 in.-lbs, but if you have the right touch, just torque them firmly — but don't over-tighten them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2013 11:40 PM in response to therich123

Anytime you break the thermal compound's bond between the two surfaces, the old compound should be removed and re-applied. Basic thermal paste will be adequate, and it's not very expensive. Some users prefer to spend more for newer compounds that are supposed to have superior thermal transfer properties, and there may be some benefit to doing so. Using a plastic tool, clean off the residual thermal paste from the 4 mating surfaces. Don't scrape it with a metal or abrasive tool. The base's mounting screws are supposed to be tightened evenly to 17 in.-lbs, but if you have the right touch, just torque them firmly — but don't over-tighten them.

Do I need to put thermal paste when I open up into the motherboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.