Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks/Messages + Facebook chat (jabber)

Hi,

Since upgrading to Mavericks, I can't seem to connect to facebook chat any more.

Using the instructions on facebooks page here: https://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php

It keeps telling me that "Messages can't log in to xxxxx@chat.facebook.com because your login ID or password is incorrect."

I am can log in to fb elsewhere, so this is ok.

Is there a fb setting I'm missing? I've already repaired keychain access, etc etc.

thanks

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 10:32 PM

So I solved the mystery: It has to do with facebook settings, in fact as of time of writing (Nov 2013), the setting is in Facebook, under the oddly named Apps/Older versions of Facebook for Mobile.

I had this set to "Only me", once I set it to "Public", it all worked.

In fact, after I deleted my facebook link in Mavericks' "Internet Accounts" I couldn't even reconnect until I discovered this switch on Facebook.

I appears that this is an older API for accessing Facebook, so OSX must still be using that function.

Weird that google couldn't turn up any clues.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2013 10:32 PM in response to snowyoz

So I solved the mystery: It has to do with facebook settings, in fact as of time of writing (Nov 2013), the setting is in Facebook, under the oddly named Apps/Older versions of Facebook for Mobile.

I had this set to "Only me", once I set it to "Public", it all worked.

In fact, after I deleted my facebook link in Mavericks' "Internet Accounts" I couldn't even reconnect until I discovered this switch on Facebook.

I appears that this is an older API for accessing Facebook, so OSX must still be using that function.

Weird that google couldn't turn up any clues.

Mar 20, 2014 6:10 PM in response to snowyoz

Thank you for your answer, I was just trying to get it to work on mine but wanted to point out a minor difference for those who stumble across this thread later on. In FB, I originally had all apps turned off. I was still able to keep the setting to only me (so I don't have to put up with other people's annoying game messages) but I set it to "Custom." After you choose custom, FB prompts you for your customization and in there I chose "only me." I kept all of the other FB app-related stuff turned off like instant personalization on other websites. So this way it recognizes me on my Mac using Messages (since I have to sign in with username/password) but I'm still free of the other FB app-related crap I don't want.

Mavericks/Messages + Facebook chat (jabber)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.