Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Power Cord Caught on FIRE

It's really bizare, but my PB power cord actually caught on fire two days ago. I heard a sparking sound and looked down to see sparks shooting out of where the cord attaches to the adaptor, and then small flames leaping from the cord.
I was aghast, and somehow managed to unplug it from the computer without electrocuting myself.
The white plastic is now darkened where the sparks/flames were. The wires are now exposed around the base (where it melted the plastic) and they also are all blackened.
I am so glad I was home when it happened because this could have easily caused a fire in the house if I wasn't home.
I marched down to my local apple store, thinking that there would be shock or at least surprise at the cord catching on fire. None at all.
In fact, the apple guy I talked to said that he had seen it happen before, and, in classic fashion, said it was probably my fault because I may have bent the cord. I've been really careful with the cord. He was completely nonplussed.
The overall impression I got from him that this is not an uncommon problem.
The strategy of not taking a more aggressive stance towards fixing such a basic safety matter seems foolish, especially considering potential lawsuits that could arise from this issue. This isn't just a consumer problem, but a basic safety issue I think all pb owners should be aware of.
This appears to be a product defect in terms of design, and there seems to be a complete failure to warn consumers of this possibility, which puts consumers' property and safety at risk.
has anyone else heard of this happening?

power book g4 Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jul 7, 2006 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2006 11:38 AM

Julians,
Welcome to Apple Discussions!
While I don't work for Apple, I can say this much, I know a lot of people who improperly think it is OK to pull the cord of the power cable by the cable instead of the casing that wraps around the cable at the port. This creates a situation where wires may fray. Anyone who I see do that, I instruct to pull only by the case. If wires fray, electrical issues like you saw can happen.

Secondly, I also know some people don't think twice about removing the clear package wrapping that comes on the power bricks themselves. If yours comes with such clear wrapping, remove it.

Thirdly, I watch the cable next to the bulb does not bend at all, and goes straight into the bulb. I've seen a few cables get frayed right at the bulb.

Watch to make sure nothing is stepping on the cord and it is away from any pets who might be stepping on it as well.

There is this article which discusses how to limit heat issues:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612

Also, some people's electrical system get frequent brownouts and have shorting issues on old wiring. To help prevent this from being a problem, use a battery backup surge protector system like those from APC.

If you can convincingly prove all of these precautions were taken, and you still got a flammable cord, I'd call Customer Relations and let them know that you did. They can be requested through AppleCare's phone number.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2006 11:38 AM in response to julians

Julians,
Welcome to Apple Discussions!
While I don't work for Apple, I can say this much, I know a lot of people who improperly think it is OK to pull the cord of the power cable by the cable instead of the casing that wraps around the cable at the port. This creates a situation where wires may fray. Anyone who I see do that, I instruct to pull only by the case. If wires fray, electrical issues like you saw can happen.

Secondly, I also know some people don't think twice about removing the clear package wrapping that comes on the power bricks themselves. If yours comes with such clear wrapping, remove it.

Thirdly, I watch the cable next to the bulb does not bend at all, and goes straight into the bulb. I've seen a few cables get frayed right at the bulb.

Watch to make sure nothing is stepping on the cord and it is away from any pets who might be stepping on it as well.

There is this article which discusses how to limit heat issues:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612

Also, some people's electrical system get frequent brownouts and have shorting issues on old wiring. To help prevent this from being a problem, use a battery backup surge protector system like those from APC.

If you can convincingly prove all of these precautions were taken, and you still got a flammable cord, I'd call Customer Relations and let them know that you did. They can be requested through AppleCare's phone number.

Jul 8, 2006 5:15 AM in response to julians

My first iBook's power adapter eventually kind of broke (near the plug (that went into the iBook) and the wire got exposed. Not sure how it happened, but I could see it being from stress. I noticed that my replacement adapter had a much sturdier anti-kink stopper at the base of the plug (that goes into the computer). Seeing that your PowerBook is running 10.2, I'm kinda suspecting your adapter of being "oldish." Did it have the metal plug or the white plastic plug that plugs into the computer?

I'm glad that no one was hurt, though!

(Oh, and a brody, I kept the original plastic on my iBook's adapter, hoping it would keep it cleaner. It turned yellow. I think Apple attended to that issue by making it impossible to open the gull wings without first taking off the plastic on later releases.)

Jul 8, 2006 5:23 AM in response to ccsccs7

Even so, some may not know to open the gull wings think it is there for decor. Never underestimate the power of human misunderstanding. I'd rather not say stupidity as that is demeaning for those who read it. I've also found that wrapping the wire around the gull wings sometimes makes it bend so much near the brick that you wonder if that doesn't cause a lot of stress on the wire at the brick. You want to do it for compactness and not having things trip over it, but by the same token, you want to make sure the wire doesn't fray.

My Power Cord Caught on FIRE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.