Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro won't start up please help me

MacBook Pro won't start up what should I do?

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 8:57 PM

20 replies

Sep 26, 2017 5:55 PM in response to eddydamasio

I tried everything I could do - SMC, PRAM, shift S, even the Apple Hardware test which told me that my Hard Drive had died and trying to create a OS thumb drive... really anything. The bar would often come up, but always stopped about 1/4 inch from the end.

Here's what worked.

I decided that if I'm giving up, I may as well wipe the drive - so I pushed the power button and command R during chimes. Make sure that your wi-fi is connected to your network. When the multi-choice screen came up I wiped my entire HD. Then installed the new OS. Worked like a charm. It's so pretty now.

Nov 2, 2013 9:01 AM in response to eddydamasio

Hey eddydamasio,

Thanks for the question. I understand that your MacBook Pro won’t turn on. The following article may help to resolve your issue:

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1367

Note: if you hear a startup chime or the fans running, see this article instead:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1573

Thanks,

Matt M.

Dec 1, 2014 9:15 AM in response to eddydamasio

I know this is an old thread - but no answer has been posted "go to apple store" is not a solution. Here is how you fix it. You simply need to reset PRAM. Do this by hitting the power button and holding down:

OPTION - COMMAND - P - R

Hold it down until you hear the Chime for the second time and then release. Doing this should reset the system and allow you to log in.

Apr 15, 2015 3:19 PM in response to eddydamasio

This has happened many times to me. But the only way that works for me to fix it is this:

- Make sure it is OFF

- Turn it on like you normally would, but WHILE you are turning it on hold down:

OPTION + COMMAND + P + R

- Turn it off, then turn it back on and it should be on the login screen

(Sometimes when this is done the screen may flash.)

Dec 11, 2015 10:28 PM in response to A. D-Brown

THANK YOU to the original poster for this tip!!! After trying using the shift key 20 times at startup , macbook pro kept shutting down after 10 seconds. I didi exactly as poster said . opt + com + p + r and it worked!!

It starts twice actually by itself and after the 2nd time it starts when Apple screen shows up, release the keys. This takes you to disk repair .

My MacBook Pro won't start up please help me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.