Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto lock vs Passcode Lock

What is the difference between Auto lock and Passcode Lock?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 1:15 PM

I appreciate this discussion, as it makes it clear that "auto-lock" is a misnomer, and so, it is a user interface mistake, since it does not control any aspect of "locking" the computer from use -- rather, "auto-lock" controls the screen time-out period. The screen time-out function is commonly called a screensaver or something similar, and its name in IOS (auto-lock) is misleading, especially to new users.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Alicia J

I appreciate this discussion, as it makes it clear that "auto-lock" is a misnomer, and so, it is a user interface mistake, since it does not control any aspect of "locking" the computer from use -- rather, "auto-lock" controls the screen time-out period. The screen time-out function is commonly called a screensaver or something similar, and its name in IOS (auto-lock) is misleading, especially to new users.

Oct 31, 2013 10:50 PM in response to Alicia J

Auto Lock is very much like Sleep (you can adjust the duration in Settings/General)..If you have the Simple 4 number Passcode Lock activated you will need this to be able to Open & use the apps etc.. on the phone.

You can disable the Passcode Lock.. If you have a 5s you can use the Fingerprint Pass to enter the phone..

You have to Input the 4 digit Code first then Turn Off.. If the phone is Off for a lengthy time it will ask you for the 4 digit code when you Turn it On again..All very confusing.. The Fingerprint Lock is ideal if you leave you phone on a Desk ot laying around..It's also great for buying on iTunes.................Hope This Helps..

Oct 31, 2013 11:11 PM in response to Alicia J

auto lock and passcode lock are two different things.

auto lock is to turn off the display)when you leave the phone unlocked and not use it( it's something like a screen saver that comes up in your computer screen after a while of inactivity, you can set the time in the auto lock section.so if you choose "never" it won't lock(turn of the display).this feature is to save battery life when the screen is turned on and your are not using it.

passcode lock is to lock your phone with a passcode(either simple or complex).to un lock your phone you have to enter your passcode(since you are using iphone 5, i am not going to talk about the finger print sensor).this is like locking your computer with a password.you can set a timing as well to ask for the passcode.

you can see just the auto lock or the passcode lock and you can use it in a combination as well.

lets say for example if you set autolock to 1 minute and passcode lock to never, and you unlock your phone and just leave your phone on the table with the display on, the auto lock will click in and lock your phone in 1 minute.when you unlock the phone you dont have to enter the passcode since you set it to never.

but if you set the passcode to immedietly or 1 min with the same auto lock setting, you will need to enter passcode when you unlock the phone.

i hope i made it clear enough, you can just play with the settings and see for yourself.

Nov 21, 2014 8:38 PM in response to Tim Levin

Tim Levin wrote:

I appreciate this discussion, as it makes it clear that "auto-lock" is a misnomer,

Its not. The previous descriptions are incorrect.

Autolock is how long before you are required to enter a passcode to unlock the screen.

since it does not control any aspect of "locking" the computer from use

That’s exactly what locking does. (this for the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, not a Mac computer)

-- rather, "auto-lock" controls the screen time-out period

No it doesn’t.

It controls how long before you have to use the Passcode to unlock the iDevice.

Go to Settings > TouchID & Passcode - Require Passcode and set it to 15 minutes. Turn off TouchID for iPhone unlock.

Set the phone down. After a minute or so the screen will go dark.

Now tap Home to wake it up and simply swipe. No passcode is required.

Note that with TouchID enabled, the screen will lock as soon as it goes dark.

Immediately is the ONLY option when Use TouchID for iPhone lock is enabled.

Nov 24, 2014 10:54 PM in response to Chris CA

Other users with a higher experience "Level" than mine may want to contribute to clarifying the misunderstanding here. But, I think that it is based on the terminology that Apple uses in the area under question, which may be somewhat different from other terminology in common use.

In Apple’s terminology, the lock screen is similar to a screensaver. Like the front door to a house, you can shut the door (or enable the lock screen), but there is no security until you install a keyed deadbolt (or enable the passcode) - otherwise anyone can open the door (or access the iPhone).

In Apple’s terminology, “lock” means to enable the lock screen:

Locking iPhone puts the display to sleep, saves the battery, and prevents anything from happening if you touch the screen.

• Press the Sleep/Wake button to lock iPhone
  • Press either the Sleep/Wake or Home button, then drag the slider, to unlock iPhone.

For additional security, you can require a passcode to unlock iPhone. Security features help protect the information on iPhone from being accessed by others.

--iPhone User Guide for iOS 8.1

Jan 1, 2016 7:55 PM in response to Chris CA

OH dear, this answer fails to address the plght of a newbie using legacy hardware.

The various LOCK features in iOS will differ depending what hardware - iPhone or iPad - and what iOS version you are currently able to use.

I still use the original iPad, an iPhone-4 and the first retina iPad Mini (as people do). So right off there will be no TouchID capability for me.

Using the iPad Mini as an example, there are several places to set locks/restrictions. I will only address the instance where you want to secure your device from prying eyes. Unless I bolt the device down it can still get stolen. A good reason to use a tracker app.

1. SETTINGS / General / AUTO LOCK : I have mine set to never as I use a magnet-cover... AND

2. SETTINGS / General / LOCK/UNLOCK : is what activates the cover-lock. I use this to save battery (a bit like a screen-saver if you like that analogy).

IF you don't have a magnetic cover and you want protection then you will need to choose a time-frame in step one or actvate a passcode in step 3.

3. SETTINGS / PASSCODE : enable this option and choose either a simple (4-digit) passcode or something more robust (up to you and your environment).

Touch ID and new rules changes these options quite a bit. There are pros and cons. It's available from iPhone 5s, iPad Air2 and iPad Mini 3 (upwards).

It's newish so there's still plenty of advice out there on how to use it.

Jan 2, 2016 5:44 AM in response to Anakowi

Anakowi wrote:

OH dear, this answer fails to address the plght of a newbie using legacy hardware.

The various LOCK features in iOS will differ depending what hardware - iPhone or iPad - and what iOS version you are currently able to use.

As the original poster was asking, 2 years ago, about an iPhone (this is the iPhone forum), any discussion of the smart cover is irrelevant.

Auto lock vs Passcode Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.