You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup thunderbolt bridge between two macbook Pro (retina and 2011 )?

I have a new 13" MB Pro retina and want to use the thunderbolt bridge btween the 13" and the 15" MB pro 2011.

Somehow I cannot do anything with this, and on both laptops it shows the the Thunderbolt slots as "Inactive". I have connected the the two laptops via the new Thunderbolt cable.

I looked around and there is no documentation on how to make this happen. The documentations are very thin or non existent.

I want to use this mechanism to transfer my data from my old MB pro to the new retina one.

your help is greatly appreciated.

Amir

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 10:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:06 AM

It is indeed possible to connect two Macs via Thunderbolt without using the Migration Assistant or Target Disk Mode.

I'm doing it right now, between a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro, both running Yosemite.

This is called a Thunderbolt bridge.

Steps to make this work:-

- Disable WiFi on each of the Macs, and disconnect Ethernet on at least one of the Macs, if you want to be sure it's Thunderbolt that's being used.

- Physically connect the two Macs via a Thunderbolt cable.

- On Mac 1:

- System Preferences->Network

- You should see Thunderbolt Bridge on the list of interfaces, with Self-Assigned IP and an amber/yellow status

- Change the Configure IPv4: field from DHCP with manual address to Manually

- Change IP Address: e.g. I use 169.254.1.1

- On Mac 2:

- You should see Thunderbolt Bridge on the list of interfaces, with Self-Assigned IP and an amber/yellow status

- Change IP Address: e.g. I use 169.254.1.2

- The Thunderbolt bridge status will still show an Amber/Yellow on both Macs

- On Mac 2:

- In Finder select Go, Connect to Server

- type in the IP address of Mac 1: i.e. 169.254.1.1

- You should now be connected to Mac 1 ...

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 30, 2015 3:06 AM in response to swinny50

It is indeed possible to connect two Macs via Thunderbolt without using the Migration Assistant or Target Disk Mode.

I'm doing it right now, between a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro, both running Yosemite.

This is called a Thunderbolt bridge.

Steps to make this work:-

- Disable WiFi on each of the Macs, and disconnect Ethernet on at least one of the Macs, if you want to be sure it's Thunderbolt that's being used.

- Physically connect the two Macs via a Thunderbolt cable.

- On Mac 1:

- Change IP Address: e.g. I use 169.254.1.1

- On Mac 2:

- Change IP Address: e.g. I use 169.254.1.2

- The Thunderbolt bridge status will still show an Amber/Yellow on both Macs

- On Mac 2:

- In Finder select Go, Connect to Server

- type in the IP address of Mac 1: i.e. 169.254.1.1

- You should now be connected to Mac 1 ...

Nov 30, 2017 7:53 AM in response to fastasleep

Sorry but have to say , nowadays Apple really ***** ! It is not out of the box and working anymore. That's true if you just want to browse thru the Internet and do simple text writing and so. In case you want something else , it is turning into another Nightmare.

I've used thunderbolt hundred times before.....no trouble. Nowadays, my iMac and Macbook air don't connect any more that easy. This f#!!!& "magical interfaz" is absolutely inactive and now I ve to surf the web to face whichever abnormal situation might be doing it fails! Just as a common windoze FGS !!!!

Last month I used my Usb to ethernet adapter and same nightmare, do this do that .....no out of the box working at all.

All my computers, with my expensive cables and adaptors could be exchanged by much cheaper stuff, working right the same.

What the **** is going on ?!?!?!?!

Oct 31, 2013 11:12 PM in response to razmara

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

To connect two MacBooks Pro and transfer files by Thunderbolt, you need to put one of them in Target Disk mode. To start up in Target Disk mode, hold the T key while your MacBook Pro is starting up until you see the Thunderbolt icon on the display.

In your case, you need to put your old MacBook Pro in Target Disk mode. This mode will convert the MacBook Pro's hard drive onto an external drive, so you can access to it from Finder on the MacBook Pro with Retina display and restore all the files you need with Migration Assistant > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

Nov 4, 2013 7:07 PM in response to mende1

unfortunately the option to select thunderbolt/firewire never comes up.

It directly goes to the options from where to transfer and then upcon clicking on it. It keeps on looking with the spinner icon showing and it never finds the other computer.

It does see it through the wiresless but not through thunderbolt.

The more I look to make this happen the more I am convinved that this feature is not fully baked and does not really work as the documentation on "Thunderbolt bridge" setup is next to none existent and only one perons through macrumors has supposedly managed this. It is really a shame as I was looking forward to use this new capability.

All the best,

Nov 14, 2013 1:33 PM in response to razmara

I would check 2 things. Make sure your old MacBook Pro is Thunderbolt. If it has a thunderbolt next to the port it is, however, it it is just a square (like a display) it is not. Second thing, when using the migration assistant, you will need to select "From another disk or Time Machine Back Up". If you say from another Mac, it looks only on the network for another Mac. Hope this helps.

Jun 2, 2015 4:04 PM in response to swinny50

Target Disk Mode - start up the machine to transfer files from while holding the 'T' key. Alternately go to System Preferences > Startup Disk > Target Disk Mode.

OS X Yosemite: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

Migration Assistant is in Applications > Utilities. A variation of this runs as part of Setup Assistant when you first set up your Mac and it asks if you'd like to set up a new account or transfer from another Mac or hard drive. You can use Migration Assistant at any later point to transfer over an entire user account from your other Mac (which you've booted in Target Disk Mode and connected to your new Mac via Thunderbolt.

It does work, and it is simple, you just need to follow the simple instructions that are easily found online ... or ask nicely. Don't assume everything is a scam because you can't figure it out.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

How to setup thunderbolt bridge between two macbook Pro (retina and 2011 )?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.