Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing .csv

In the last version of numbers I could drop .txt files into any cell. Now Numbers 3 refuses to recognise either .txt or .csv when the file is dragged over it. I can't see any new import options

How do I import this kind of content?

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 4:47 AM

7 replies

Nov 1, 2013 8:10 AM in response to oakframe_tim

I was having similar difficulty importing a comma delimited csv file into numbers. It imported all into the first column. I resolved this by copying the file to pages. Exported the file to .txt. Then I changed the name of the file extension from .txt to .csv. I opened the file and numbers formatted it properly into columns. I hope that this helps someone.

Nov 1, 2013 8:23 AM in response to JoshuaTu

The problem is, specifically, that we have LOST the capacity to simply drag and drop the .txt file into our numbers spreadsheet.

In version 2 you could successfully do this and the data would spread itself properly across the rows and columns

Now, in version 3, dragging a .txt or a .csv file over the spreadsheet grid does not open any kind of functionality. They have to opened as a separate file and then use copy and paste to put them into your spreadsheet.

importing .csv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.