Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my MacBook Pro connect to my wifi?

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.5. My ISP is BT Vision so have a open reach fibre modem and a BT HomeHub. All my other wifi devices (iPhone 4S, 5S and Ipad 3) connect to my home network and internet first time every time! However, my MacBook is extremely temperamental.

When the laptop does connect to the internet it takes a random combination of restarting and turning the wifi on and off. If the laptop is left to connect on its own it either takes an extended period of time (30mins) or it simply won't connect. I have looked through the wifi settings but can't see any reason why the laptop won't connect. The wifi network is visible all he time.

Any ideas?

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 4:36 AM

19 replies

Apr 1, 2017 6:14 AM in response to hollom

Unfortunately I still have this issue after taking action to separate the two frequencies on my BTHomeHub5. Interestingly if I join my own router through the BTWifi-with-FON and enter my account details the ISP service is retained.

Maybe I am actually experiencing a slightly different issue, which is that it does retain the WIFI connection, but drops the ISP for my MBP. Note all other devices work fine, including a newer MacBook air.

May 13, 2014 12:00 PM in response to hollom

I know how to solve this problem had the same issue, its basically because you BTHome hub runs a 5GHz frequency a long with a 2GHz frequency and for some reason your mac tries to connect to that even though they dont have the techologies will allow them to run on that frequency, making you not connect to the internet. To fix this log into your homehub settings onlin by going to http://bthomehub.home/then going to advanced settings, wireless which should be under it and then click on the 5GHz and turn it off or rename it and click apply. So you can make your laptop connect to the correct frequency. IF you can connect to the internet on your laptop then you can still do the same steps and process on your phone or any device that connects your BThomehub.

Apr 1, 2015 4:40 AM in response to justforxixi

Your welcome, thanks for showing your appreciation. I remember when i first got this problem it was so annoying and didn't make sense because all the other devices in my house would connect to the internet and my laptop would just refuse and after many failed attempts of speaking to Apple and BT i somehow solved the solution don't remember how now, think i was looking through settings and thought about the different frequencies or someone else mentioned something similar. But glad i could be of help its stupid to think BT doesn't have an article or help guide on this somewhere, or even Apple.

Jul 6, 2015 2:17 AM in response to rupsta

Indeed you are right, Frequency is a key feature, within the difference. (Channel Range)

I renamed my 5Ghz just added 5Ghz at the end of my SSD, I always like to use 5Ghz, due to less crowded channels within my area. But older devices may not connect to 5Ghz,. So i deleted old SSD from Macbook Pro and connected to my 5Ghz on my macbook, not had a dropout since.

Why won't my MacBook Pro connect to my wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.