Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Faces to stay off?

When I turn Faces off using the roll-up on the right, sometimes it stays off for a while and sometimes it only stays off for a few minutes.

What causes it to re-activate itself, and how can I stop it from doing so?

This is with iPhoto '11 9.5, but it was the same in the older revisions.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 6:15 AM

5 replies

Nov 1, 2013 1:12 PM in response to Old Toad

In Events view, if I select an event, I have a Faces widget on the right side of the iPhoto window, saying there are unnamed faces. In Photos view, it's there even if I don't select anything. If I click the arrow on the widget, it 'rolls up" and iPhoto no longer puts face boxes on my photos, and the Widget disappears from Events view (not from Photos view). But it comes back on its own.

I have never seen that slider switch. Where is it, and what does it do?

Nov 1, 2013 2:35 PM in response to AntonLargiader

I see what you're referring to. It's in the Info drawer. I can't duplicate you issue so Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).

User uploaded file

or with Lion and Mt. Lion delete the contents the User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/
Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto
folder.

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto, reset its preferences and check the Info drawer.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

If you're running Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

Nov 1, 2013 3:27 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks. Two quick questions:

1) Where is the slider you showed, and what does it do?

2) What exactly will be accomplished by clearing out the cache? What bad data do you think is in there, and what is it doing?

I don't think there's anything wrong with my installation, but I don't know that for a fact. It's been like this since the beginning. I initially did start to ad faces. Seemed like a great idea... for about five minutes. Then I went back and deleted the ones I'd created because I just wasn't interested in pursuing this.

If I had never started with Faces to begin with, do you think I would never get the face boxes? And clearing the cache will erase my history of trying to use that feature?

Nov 1, 2013 3:46 PM in response to AntonLargiader

1) Where is the slider you showed, and what does it do?

1 - It's in the Faces window and changes the face image to the full image.

2 - there are files that get cached by iPhoto for quick reference and if there's a damagged file it can cause problems. The cache will be regenerated by iPhoto as you use it. It's part of Troubleshooting 101 - delete the cache and preference file.

Deleting the cache won't erase any face history. We're stuck with it. The best we can do is just ignore it and send a feature request to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html.

How do I get Faces to stay off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.