Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to selectively set up a new ipad from a backup?

I currently have an ipad that I share with my kids. I want to purchase a new ipad and transfer some of the apps (and importantly apps data from note taking apps in particular) to the new ipad but I don't want to transfer lots of gigs of games.

I also want to wipe the old ipad ( restore to factory settings as its gotten slow and a little buggy over time having had its memory maxed out) and then put back the kids apps and game saves but none of my apps.

So my question is when I setup the new ipad and select restore from back up via itunes does this give me the option of deselecting some backed up apps so they all aren't transferred onto the ipad ( I know I can always delete them later but I'm talking 32gigs of messed up folders "unfreshening" my new device).

Then can I "restore from backup" from the same backup selected apps (games and game saves) back onto the old ipad effectively splitting the ipad data between the two devices.?

Also somewhere in this process would I be given the option of renaming the old ipad so that future syncs aren't confused between the two?

Any advice appreciated.

iPad, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 6:40 AM

When you restore from a backup it's all or nothing, you don't get options as to which apps and/or other content to restore onto the device. But if you don't have particular apps listed in the Apps part of your computer's iTunes library then the restore won't be able to restore them (and therefore their content) onto the device - whether it would be quicker to temporarily remove the apps from your computer's iTunes library that you don't want prior restoring or just deleting them from the iPad after they've been restored I don't know (the restore itself will take longer if it has to copy more items back, but you don't have to watch it doing the restore).

You can rename a device directly on it via Settings > General > About > Name , or when connected to your computer's iTunes : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3965

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2013 6:40 AM in response to Tantimongoose

When you restore from a backup it's all or nothing, you don't get options as to which apps and/or other content to restore onto the device. But if you don't have particular apps listed in the Apps part of your computer's iTunes library then the restore won't be able to restore them (and therefore their content) onto the device - whether it would be quicker to temporarily remove the apps from your computer's iTunes library that you don't want prior restoring or just deleting them from the iPad after they've been restored I don't know (the restore itself will take longer if it has to copy more items back, but you don't have to watch it doing the restore).

You can rename a device directly on it via Settings > General > About > Name , or when connected to your computer's iTunes : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3965

Nov 1, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Tantimongoose

Also if I back up then rename the device and then backup again will this give me two identical backups? Or is iTunes recognizing the device rather than the name?

What I would be trying to achieve by renaming is backing up old ipad deleting unwanted apps and then backing up again to restore to new ipad. Then restoring old ipad from first backup and deleting a different set of unwanted apps?

Nov 1, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Tantimongoose

You can delete an app from your computer's iTunes library by selecting the app and pressing the delete key on your keyboard (if prompted then press 'no' for delete the app from your computer). You can then add the app back into your library via File > Add To Library (if the app has gone into the recycle bin/trashcan on your computer then copy it back or redownload it via the Purchased link under Quicklinks on the right-hand side of the iTunes store home page). By default your iTunes library is stored under (so that you know where to navigate to for the File > Add To Library) :

• Mac OS X: /Users/username/Music
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\
  • Windows Vista: \Users\username\Music\iTunes
  • Windows 7 and Windows 8: \Users\username\My Music\iTunes

A backup is stored for the device, not per device name - so if you rename it and then backup again, you will still have just the one backup.

Nov 1, 2013 1:31 PM in response to Tantimongoose

You can backup and then copy that backup into a different location on your computer (and then copy it back when you want to use it - it should be automatically recognised by iTunes as long as you put under the same parent folder). Backups are stored under (from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946) :

• Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    Note: The "~" represents your Home folder. If you don't see Library in your home folder, Option-click the Go menu.
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.
  • Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press the Return key.

Nov 1, 2013 2:24 PM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you

So thinking this through. Would this scenario work?:

1. I back up the old ipad and then copy the folder

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ say to the desktop and also leave a copy in the original location

2. I then delete the kids apps from the old ipad and backup as normal (second backup)

3. I use this second backup to set up the new ipad under "restore from backup"

4. I then switch the folders

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ so I can restore the original backup on the old ipad and then delete the apps the kids do not need on the old ipad

5. And then backup/sync the new ipad as if for the first time so both will then be backing up/syncing separately and normally with iTunes

Also in this scenario when would I rename each ipad?

Am I likely to lose any data by this complicated work around?

Nov 2, 2013 1:02 AM in response to Tantimongoose

It should work, though it's not something that I've tried in terms of trying to 'split' a backup into 2 (I have copied a backup out of the backup folder and then copied it back into it and it was recognised by iTunes). As long as all the apps and other iTunes downloads have been copied over to your computer's iTunes (File > Devices > Transfer Purchases) then you shouldn't lose any content - but the safest would be to restore the full backup onto the new iPad and then delete what isn't needed from each iPad.

I'd probably leave renaming the iPads until the end

How to selectively set up a new ipad from a backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.