Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs that I have purchased are missing in iTunes (file not found/exclmation point), and do not show up in the iTunes Store for download.

I have a laptop that has (or had) pretty much all of my music, both burned from CDs and downloaded from iTunes. My 17 year old son on occasion syncs his iPhone and iPad with this laptop. As of the last sync (as best I can determine), many songs that I purchased in the past few years are now missing, in that they have an exclamation point to the left of the song title, and when I try to play the song, I get an error message that says "The song could not be used because the original file could not be found" or something to that effect. As it turns out, the file seems to be erased. This has happened multiple times, and I could be wrong, but I believe that there are some songs that had the exclmation point last time he synced that now don't, and vice-versa. There is not an obvious correlation or grouping as to why these songs are missing (e.g,. they were not all purchased on the same date, not all songs from one artist are missing, etc.).

Since most of these songs have been purchased through iTunes through my account, my reaction was to go to the iTunes store, log in with my account, and re-download them. Problem is, all of these songs instead ask me to purchase the song, instead of displaying a "cloud" logo. Therefore, it appears that I have to re-purchase these songs, which does not sound correct.

Questions: Does anyone know, most importantly (to get an immediate fix):

1. How can I re-download these songs and why doesn't iTunes Store recognize that I have already purchased them?

and perhaps as important (more of a long-term question):

2. Why does this happen and how can I prevent this from happening again (since it has happened multiple times)?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:01 AM

24 replies

Jan 2, 2017 12:59 PM in response to vlapira

I wish i had an answer to your problem. I have been richocetting between my three apple devices for the past week downloading and updating my playlists across all three devices. I cross check all my devices and find songs, albums, or parts of playlists missing. Most recently, i added albums missing from a playlist i had added only 2 minutes previously. I went to my mac and to my ipad and they were missing songs, albums, parts of playlists from those very same playlists. When i cross check a playlist that i have not touched prior to Sierra, i find no incongruities. However, i cannot say absolutely tbat that is the problem. Maybe it is the new icloud drive app? Who knows? I have spent 1000s on itunes and i have to constantly cross check all three of my devices to see if the albums i put there 2 bloody minutes ago are still there? This is the demise of Apple. Remember Chrysler in the 70s? Fix it now Apple!

Apr 28, 2017 8:58 PM in response to turingtest2

I've been reading what's here, cause suddenly tonight I noticed ALL my purchased music is missing (on my PC) from the Purchase Music file......jezzz, it's all gone. I noticed it when one of my songs wouldn't play, so I thought I'd simply find it in the Purchased file and fix it. But the file was empty. I'm going to try your solution in the morning.....thanks for posting.

Apr 29, 2017 10:27 AM in response to CatAZ

I followed all your instructions and have downloaded purchased songs, yet there is a huge amount missing in the "purchased" file. The record of purchases (in Purchase History) are all true and valid, but the songs themselves are missing from the "purchased file" in iTunes. Last week they were there. Weird. Thankfully my iTunes Library is backed up, in two different places. Apple does this sort of thing occasionally......throws us a curve ball out of nowhere...why? I appreciate your help and instructions, thanks turingtest2!

Apr 29, 2017 10:46 AM in response to CatAZ

I think items are only added to the purchased playlist in your library when they are first purchased and downloaded. If you redownload them at a later date then they won't be added automatically. You can locate items with media kind containing purchased or protected and drag them into the list.

As long as all the media files are where they supposed to be inside your media folder it should be sufficient to restore the pre-upgrade version of the iTunes Library.itl file from the Previous iTunes Libraries folder or your backup. If the media files were deleted that would be unusual behaviour. Redownloading past purchases when the media is still present may result in the media folder holding duplicate copies of the files.

tt2

Nov 1, 2013 2:42 PM in response to vlapira

1. iTunes won't offer cloud downloads for songs that it "thinks" are in your library, even if it "knows" the files are missing. If you've exhaustively searched for the missing files and there is no prospect of repair by restoring to them to their original locations, or connecting to new ones, then delete that tracks that display both the missing exclamation mark and are of media kind Purchased/Protected AAC audio file. Don't hide from iTunes in the cloud when asked, close iTunes, then reopen. You can download from the cloud links or iTunes Store > Quicklinks > Purchased > Music > Not on this computer > All songs > Download all.

2. Why? Not sure, perhaps 3rd party tools or accidental key presses combined with previously hidden warning messages when trying to organize the library. There is a hint that using the feature to downsample media as it is synced to a device may also be involved, though I've not replicated it. Whatever the reason a backup would protect your media.

tt2

Sep 13, 2014 2:35 AM in response to David Wheel

I've tried this and even though my iTunes version is up to date, the hidden purchases area isn't showing. Ive got albums purchased in the past and only part of them are showing even though I've tried checking through my library, purchased items (incl. items not on computer), hidden items etc.

anyone know how I can retrieve my past purchases?

Songs that I have purchased are missing in iTunes (file not found/exclmation point), and do not show up in the iTunes Store for download.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.