Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSx Mavericks update - unusable Aperture

After updating to OSX Mavericks and required update of the Aperture library, all photos (jpg and raw) in all projects shows very blurry. More, when trying to select a photo for edition, the blurry image changes to a black rectangle. When trying to export, it fails with the “unsupported file format” error.

Practically Aperture is completely unusable.

I have more than 20000 photos stored on a Synology NAS. The projects in Aperture are small, no more than 20-40 photos each and I import without copying the original to the Aperture library. I run Aperture on a late 2008 MBP since few years in this configuration without any problem.

To test, I create a new library and import some photos. I get same blurry photos on screen. However when I open the same photos in Preview or other applications they look normal.

Any similar experience with Mavericks?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:09 AM

5 replies

Nov 1, 2013 8:10 AM in response to vp@apple

I have more than 20000 photos stored on a Synology NAS.

Do you see the same, when you store your original image files on your internal drive?

Try this with a small test library on yur system drive.

To test, I create a new library and import some photos. I get same blurry photos on screen.

Was this test library on your NAS or on your system drive?

Nov 1, 2013 7:22 PM in response to léonie

leonieDF, i just made the tests you suggested.

With the library on local, photos imported from local are okay both cases, original copied to library or original stored at its location. Photos imported from NAS are okay when copied to library but blurry if original is not copied.

Similar results when the library is stored on NAS.

In conclusion it does not matter where the library is stored, but where the original photos are located and if they are copied or not to the library.

Looks like some sort of problem Aperture has with the NAS.

Nov 2, 2013 12:22 AM in response to vp@apple

I'd get the 20000 photos of the NAS as soon as possible, even if you have a current backup. Don't risk you precious photos.

Do you need network storage?

One problem with NAS storage is, that the drive needs its own software and the formatting will not be MacOS X Extended journaled.

Aperture is more robust with directly attached local drives that do not need additional software.

Nov 2, 2013 7:04 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for advice, unfortunately this is not an option suitable for me. It seems that Apple screwed up Aperture nas and external hdd support same like they did with Final Cut. I don't know if they do it because they have bad programers or a hidden agenda.

I don't have The One Billion Terabits internal hdd what Apple thinks people use and i have more than five photos and videos what Apple developers think people have.

My solution will be to give up Aperture and use other non-Apple software I have which does not have issues with a nas.

Thanks again and good luck to you with Aperture.

OSx Mavericks update - unusable Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.