Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air: retina display not clear

I just bought an iPad Air this morning and noticed that the retina display is not as clear, or crisp when compared to my dad's iPad 4. I especially notice this with fine lines. I can see the pixels on the iPad Air, but on the iPad 4 it's a clean, crisp line.

Where I really noticed the difference was in the game clash of clans. On the iPad 4 the buildings are super crisp and clear when I zoom in. But on the iPad Air the buildings look blurry, like standard definition.

Please help! Is there a burn in process? Will it get better over time? Or is the iPad Air screen just an inferior retina display when compared to older models?

iPad

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:39 AM

13 replies

Nov 1, 2013 8:13 AM in response to Pro.apple

It could be that what you're seeing is simply different than what you are used to (or can now compare directly to). I believe the new displays are thinner (along with different manufacturer, different technology) to fit into the thinner Air housing. The display is still "Retina" but probably different in some minute way which may make it look worse when you have a direct comparison available.

Either that or it's indeed defective. You may want to check out a display model somewhere and see if matches what your're seeing on yours.

Dec 14, 2013 8:08 PM in response to Pro.apple

hello! just want to share same problem here.

I also just bought new ipad air and Im very upset for what they did to the screen crisp.

It's true for what you have said, felt the same when I play COC. for some people they dont quite notice since the difference not so obvious, BUT!! if you guys play 'Royal Revolt' then you will deffinitely realize that ipad air screen crips is trash. Just try if dont believe me.

I also compare some of music clip from my ipad3 vs ipad air and I can also see the major difference.

Dammit i spent lot of saving just to buy this crap!

I want to ask for help for those who bought this crap to compare not only coc but other game, video also you will understand the major difference.

Hope apple could fix this problem!

Feb 27, 2015 1:25 AM in response to Pro.apple

Well, I just bought an iPad Air 2, and I realized that the screen is not as clear as iPad 4.

I had an iPad 4 when I bought Air 2, so I compared them with the same screen when I realized that something didn't look right. Then I found out that the reason might be the size of the pixel. Yes they have the same screen size and resolution so they have the same pixcel amount, but the size of the pixcel on Air 2 is actually a little smaller. So the distance between each 2 pixcel is bigger.

So, you might feel that the brightness of Air 2 is a little lower, and images on Air 2 are not as crisp or clear as on iPad 4. That's the fact.

I don't know why Apple make it in this way, but since they have nothing on creativity, they make the divice thinner, so the battery is smaller. You don't want to claim that your new product has shorter using time, so you have to same energy somewhere. It's just my guess. Probably, it's some restriction of the new screen technology, but, the screen is actually worse, which is the fact.

iPad Air: retina display not clear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.