Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting Faces in Aperture

I have 30,000 images all with faces tagged in A3.

I need to move half to a new library. When I export the edited images FACES comes thru as KEYWORDS - not faces!

Can anyone offer a solution so that images can transfer between libraries with the metadata, including faces, intact?

MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:29 AM

6 replies

Nov 1, 2013 8:54 AM in response to William Lloyd

Do you mean that I should assemble the images for export into a new project and then export that project rather than tagging a group of individual images and exporting those? I tried the individual image export as a library and it worked (Thank you!!) but I want it to be as simple as possible.

BTW: I went to the genius bar (NYC 14th St) with this problem and no one could make it work, they all decided it was an app error that needed a patch.

Nov 1, 2013 9:17 AM in response to jtbnyc

Do you mean that I should assemble the images for export into a new project and then export that project rather than tagging a group of individual images and exporting those? I tried the individual image export as a library and it worked (Thank you!!) but I want it to be as simple as possible.

Moving the images to other projects would unnecessarily change the library you are exporting from.

If you want to transfer a set of arbitrary photos to another library, I would collect them in an album, and then select that album and export with "File > Export > Album as new library".

If you already tagged the selected images with keywords or flags, you could also use a smart album based on your tags to export as library.

Nov 1, 2013 9:22 AM in response to jtbnyc

(Added) I see Léonie has already answered 😁 .

jtbnyc wrote:

Each works. Depends on what you want to have in the new Library.

My suggestion: Put the Images in an Album (a regular Album), select the Album, and export it as a Library. The new Library will contain every Project that contains an Image in the Album. Then you can re-organize this Library to meet your needs, without messing up whatever organization you have in your current Library.

After you are satisfied with the new Library, you can delete the Album in the old Library (or not -- Albums contain what I'm going to start calling "replicates"; they take up very little storage).

jtbnyc wrote:

BTW: I went to the genius bar (NYC 14th St) with this problem and no one could make it work, they all decided it was an app error that needed a patch.

The Apple Store "Geniuses" have a lot of ground to cover. Generally they do an excellent job. Their understanding of any particular app is, however, understandably shallow. The expertise freely given on this forum is deep. Please tell them you found a solution and recommend that they consult here for issues they cannot resolve.

--Kirby.

(Special note for Léonie and others: What do you think? "Duplicate" is a second object; "Replicate" is an instance of the same object. I came across this (with a minor change) in looking into using DevonThink. Fwiw, in ten years users will be as familiar with duplicates, replicates, albums, smart albums, and folders as they now are with files and folders.)

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Nov 1, 2013 12:03 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

The expertise freely given on this forum is deep. Please tell them you found a solution and recommend that they consult here for issues they cannot resolve.

Some of them actually do, Kirby! See for example the post below - I found it really funny:

Re: Loops from Mainstage 2 sound doubled/off in GB '11?

Thanks leonieDF! I don't know if you know it, but you're somewhat of a "Rock Star" at the Apple Care help desk. I was actually referred to one of your posts when I made a help call the other day!

Duplicates vs. replicates? That sounds good, but English is not my mother tongue. I hope someone wth a better understanding of English will comment on that suggestion . 😀

Exporting Faces in Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.