Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After running OnyX or C*tail, Apple Apps Crash on first launch

After running OnyX or C*tail, the first time I launch a number of Apple apps (Keynote, Numbers, Pages, Contacts, Calendar, App Store, iPhoto, PhotoBooth, iMessage, etc.) they all crash. I then reopen them, and all is fine from that point on. So there must be something that C*tail / OnyX is “cleaning” out of the operating system caches that’s necessary or isn’t properly rebuilt with a rebooting of the computer. Not sure if this is related to necessary fonts??? I did open FontBook and Restored the default fonts. It’s strange that I can launch other programs fine (Word, InDesign, etc.) right after running C*tail or OnyX, but Apple’s programs crash the first time every time. And as I mentioned, after that initial crash, they are fine.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 11:04 AM

6 replies

Nov 1, 2013 11:31 AM in response to cbs20

You're incorrect . . . the Mavericks version of OnyX has been released. And programs like C*tail and OnyX do more than just clean system caches. They repair disk permissions, run the daily and monthly scripts, clear font, printer and browser caches (all of which become corrupt and cause problems on occasion) . . . in essence, they are important maintenance programs to keep the OS running smoothly.

I didn't post this to debate the merits of maintenance programs . . . if you don't want to run them, fine. I'm trying to bring attention to an issue that may need to be addressed.

Nov 1, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Steve Dutton

Hey buddy, read my post! Did I say anything about not using maintenance programs? No. I said there is no reason to clean the cache. Yes, I probably should have clarified that they may need to be cleaned if they are corrupt and actually causing a problem. I personally use Onyx just never for cleaning the cache, and I wasn't aware that the Onyx Mavericks version was released. FYI this issue should probably be addressed on Titanium's website, since it's the first version for Mavericks there are bound to be some bugs, so report it to the developer.

Nov 1, 2013 12:20 PM in response to Steve Dutton

I've been waiting for the Mavericks version of OnyX, so just got to download it. I ran the Internet cleaning and the Automation scripts, though I left the default settings, which include the font cache but not Spotlight.

I have opened Pages, Numbers, Calendar, Contacts, iPhoto and Safari without incident, so can't confirm your findings.

NB: there is also a dubious site using the name "Onyx Mac", so make sure you download the original OnyX from the developer's site at:

http://www.titanium.free.fr

Nov 1, 2013 12:21 PM in response to putnik

Thanks . . . it very well could be some other extension / plugin / startup item on my system that is triggering this to occur (right after running either C*tail or OnyX). Yes, I did get OnyX directly from the developers site. And I just sent a note to the developer of C*tail about it . . . will have to see. It does seem odd that it's only Apple apps. I've opened dozens of other apps with no issue.

Dec 11, 2013 7:27 AM in response to Steve Dutton

My Apple Apps crashing is unrelated to C*tail or OnyX . . . I've done a clean install of Mavericks twice now. The first time, I did the migration during the install. After everything was finished, I began opening different Apple Apps: Mail, Preview, Contacts, Photo Booth, Dictionary, iPhoto, etc. . . . almost every one of them crashed on the first launch. (All subsequent launches were fine.) The second clean install, I got everything up and running with just the Mavericks install (no migration yet). I again began opening all the differnet Apple Apps . . . no crashes. I then migrated my main user from a backup, restarted, began opening the different Apple Apps . . . almost all of them crashed on the first launch. I can duplicate this problem by simply running C*tail or OnyX. So there must be something in my User account that causes this behavior. I've had the Console open as I launch the different Apps. I can see the errors / crashes, but can't decipher what is causing the conflict.

After running OnyX or C*tail, Apple Apps Crash on first launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.