Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change user directory name

Just got my new Mac Book Pro today with 10.9.

Tried to migrate files from an older MBP during the initial setup of the new one, but had trouble getting this to work.

I setup the user info and then ran the migration assistant later which copied over my old user account.

Since the users wher the same, I now have a "Brian 1" home user directory and a "brian" user directory in the deleted users folder.

How can I rename Brian 1 to just Brian?

I tried following the instructions for enabling root acces but it will not let me rename the Brian 1 folder.

Any help appreciated!

Brian

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 10:36 AM

3 replies

Nov 1, 2013 10:49 AM in response to cavmac

OS X- How to change user account name or home directory name

Apple's support article HT1428: OS X: How to change user account name or home directory name, still refers to the old and buggy support article HT1528: Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X. No one should ever need to enable the root user. This procedure is overly complex and buggy. If you really and truly need to act as the root user, use the Terminal and run the "sudo" command.

Here is a better procedure for changing a user account short name that does not require the root user:

1. Create a new Administrator account

2. Log in as the new Administrator account

3. Run Terminal.app and enter the following commands:

cd /Users

sudo mv oldshortname newshortname

4. Keep in mind that the shortname must be all lowercase, with no spaces, and only contain letters.

5. Use the Users & Groups pane (Accounts pane in Mac OS X v10.6.8 or earlier) in System Preferences to

create a new user with the Account name or Short Name that you used in the previous step.

6. Click OK when "A folder in the Users folder already has the name 'account name'. Would you like to use

that folder as the Home folder for this user account?" appears. Note: This will correct the ownership of all

files in the Home folder, and avoid permissions issues with the contents.

7. Use the Users & Groups pane (Accounts pane in Mac OS X v10.6.8 or earlier) in System Preferences to delete

the old user

8. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu.

9. Log in as the newly created user. You should be able to access all of your original files

(on the desktop, in Documents, and in the other folders of this Home).

10. After verifying that your data is as expected, you can delete the original user account

via the Users & Groups pane (Accounts pane in Mac OS X v10.6.8 or earlier).

change user directory name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.