Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing

Hi folks.

Some certificate issues sent my server for a spin. It's fixed, but now I have issues with Screen Sharing.

System Prefs say Remote Management on Server 10.8.5 is controlling this feature. In Server, I have it turned on. I can't seem to make a connection to the local name (alpha.local) or the LAN IP. I can connect every way with the server, but just not in Screen Sharing.

Any advice apprecaited.

Cheers

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Hypercard UG!

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 11:24 AM

17 replies

Nov 2, 2013 11:29 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi there. Just had a look at my console from my workstation:

2013-11-02 2:22:17.483 PM Screen Sharing[45591]: connect() failed. errno:60, fd:7, port:5900

2013-11-02 2:22:17.485 PM Screen Sharing[45591]: Communications error

2013-11-02 2:24:01.600 PM Screen Sharing[45591]: connect() failed. errno:60, fd:9, port:5900

2013-11-02 2:24:01.602 PM Screen Sharing[45591]: Communications error

Then I turned off "Enable screen sharing and remote management", checked inside the server system prefs/Sharing and Screen Sharing is not choosable. Do I need to restart the box?

Port 5900 isn't open on the server.

Cheers

Nov 3, 2013 6:43 AM in response to haykong

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

OK, here's the deal. It's a bit confusing, but I need to explain what's happened.

The lack of screen sharing (SS) started when I started receiving Push Certificate Expiry warnings from my server. I would get 25 at a time, for what I eventually found out were 5 push certificates expiring in late November, on my server. Those were turned off and renewed (?) as I was not using them for any iOS devices at all. I don't need to turn on services that I don't need. I just need SS to administer this headless unit on my LAN.

Before all this mayhem started, I was not using Profile Manager on the server, through teh Server.app on either the workstation or the server itself. It's never been on, nor used.

It is currently off, with Device Management Disabled.

I have not "kickstarted" it as I have never heard of it. I just tried it and it instantly told me (that very millisecond) that it needs to be turned on. So I tried using the Server.app to "Enable screen sharing and remote management". Then it took 8 seconds to tell me the connection failed, and that I should turn on screen sharing.

So I went into the console on my workstation and this is what it said:

2013-11-03 9:38:11.698 AM Screen Sharing[30313]: connect() failed. errno:61, fd:7, port:5900

2013-11-03 9:38:11.701 AM Screen Sharing[30313]: Communications error

2013-11-03 9:38:39.690 AM Screen Sharing[30313]: connect() failed. errno:60, fd:9, port:5900

2013-11-03 9:38:39.692 AM Screen Sharing[30313]: Communications error

So I have a look at the ports on the server, and port 5900 isn't open. I am guessing this is probably because the service hasn't been turned on. It should, but it isn't. What's interesting is that opening Server.app on my workstation can indeed manage the server, even when this latter mentioned button has been turned off in the Server.app on the server itself.

OK, sorry for being long winded, but that's the story.

Cheers

Nov 3, 2013 10:15 AM in response to Linc Davis

OK, firewall was on, and turned it off, and SS worked instantly.

I turned it back on and found the following setting:

screensharingd -> Block incoming connections

I changed it to Allow incoming connections, and it didn't work with a new connection.

Turns out with firewall on and off, port 5900 is indeed listening, but isn't taking connections.

Nov 22, 2013 5:07 PM in response to BioRich

basically, if you set the Firewall and restart your Mac, the Firewall options list every system process involved rather than groups of services. the firewall also doesn't work properly. for example, file sharing can stop sharing.

the fix (for me) is to delete the Firewall preferences file, restart your Mac and turn the Firewall back on. then, never restart your Mac unless you need to. put it to Sleep instead.

the preference file is at:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist

you will need to authenticate to remove the file.

for convenience, I use the following AppleScript:

do shell script "sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist" ¬

user name "my_admin_account" password "my_password" with administrator privileges

I delete the pref file before *every* reboot, and re-configure the Firewall after the reboot.

Screen Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.