Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Print out size lost control after upgrade to osx 10.9, cannot print 100% document original size, why?

As subject said.

I'm using Xerox 1450GA, before upgrade to OSX 10.9, printing Adobe file could be in 100% real size. After upgrade, lost control, even checked setting in 100% in setting, come out image still auto reduce few percents, that make me confuse and cannot complete digital printing jobs, someone have same problem? Please help to solve...

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 10:02 AM

HI

I'm using a HP Designjet 500+HPGL2, and i use Adobe, Archicad and Autocad, and it's the same problem with OSX10.9. the print at 100% come out smaller.

46 replies

Nov 4, 2013 9:07 AM in response to fabulu

Ya... I'm hoping I don't have to jump through that many hoops.

I've been running some test prints trying to figure out what percentage it's scaling the files down and think I'm getting close. Weird thing is, I don't think it's scaling the X- and Y-axis the same percentage (at least as far as I can tell... I'm not really a math person so I might be missing something obvious). It's looking like it's scaling down about 6.5% from the original on the X-axis, and around 6% on the Y-axis. So, if you're able to define a custom percentage to scale (like you can in Illustrator), you can adjust the scaling to compensate (106.5% x 106%). I'm still playing with this, so I will post what I find. Obviously this isn't going to work for people needing perfectly accurate prints out of CAD, but it'll work for my poster printing until something real gets fixed.

Nov 15, 2013 9:56 AM in response to jkycks

Having same problem printing to an HP Designjet 800 (42" roll feed) and HP Deskjet 9800 (13x19) using Apple provided drivers from Vectorworks 2013. Designjet 800 prints about 6% reduced and Deskjet 9800 prints about 4% reduced. Prints to HP 3600 Color Laser (Letter/Legal) are right-on-the-money 100%.

It must be a driver problem. If I open the same files on a Mac with OS X 10.8 or older they print at 100% on all printers.

Made PDFs of files and they looked 100% on screen (borders looked to be correct distance from edges of sheets) but when printed they were reduced too.

Nov 15, 2013 10:03 AM in response to davlab

I've spent hours on the phone going in circles with HP's "support" (I use the term loosely here) and can confirm that it's a driver issue. The best part is, HP and Apple claim that neither of them have a copy of the v2.14 driver that actually worked, and I can't seem to dig one up online anywhere. I've tried everything under the sun and just gave up... ordering an Epson and selling both of my HP's. I think the only other option is to wait for HP to release working drivers, but since they don't even seem to understand that their driver is the source of the problem, I wouldn't hold my breath.

It seems really crazy to me that neither the manufacturer nor Apple keep a copy of the previous driver, but that's what I've been told. HP did release what they're calling a new 10.9 raster driver (available on their site), but it didn't fix the problem for me. If you have a timemachine backup from before the 2.16.1 driver was released, I'd restore to that and turn off automatic updates. If you don't (like me) seems like your stuck.

Nov 19, 2013 2:00 PM in response to jkycks

Our situation is similar- upgraded two of five iMacs to Mavericks and the two upgraded machines are printing a little less than 100% to our HP Designjet 800. We print mostly from InDesign and Illustrator.

Our solution workaround: we discovered that the problem only happened when selecting a customer paper size. When selecting one of the default paper sizes, the problem went away. So that's what we'll be doing until someone releases a patch!

Nov 20, 2013 5:48 PM in response to mtkinf

Unfortunately, I need to print on custom size pages- as in 42" x 90". Does anyone know of a way to make a custom paper size a default size? Hopefully that could solve the problem fo ra few of us.

Also, I had a much more technologically savvy person than myself try printing from command lines via ftp. It would say the job was being sent to the computer, but then nothing would come out, which was really strange because it worked for a different large format printer.

I also tried printing from a windows netbook and while the scaling came out fine, the pixelation was awful, no matter what the settings were. It's maddening!

Dec 13, 2013 1:14 AM in response to jkycks

I would like to join this discussion to, because i have the same probmel with custom sizes and sizes on printed paper! I've found a solution thah maybe will not work for everyone but it works for me! After so many attempts to get this right i've putted driver on HP designjet 510 for HP designjet 111 roll! And now it prints in 100% scale on paper. Please, try it yourself and post results here.

Regards

Jan 9, 2014 3:27 PM in response to mtkinf

I can confirm that when using standard page sizes drawings print at correct scale (100%). Custom page sizes print reduced 4% – 6%, depending on the large-format printer (both HP). Our HP Color LaserJet prints at correct scale with standard or custom page sizes.

The problem must be some incompatibility between OS 10.9 and the HP drivers. The custom pages sizes are created in the OS X printer settings, so it may be as much Apple's issue as it is HP. Hopefully Apple will release a driver update to fix the problem. I don't have much hope of HP doing it. HP no longer even has drivers available for our DesignJet 800.

I'm still able to print to my LaserWriter 16/600 that is now 20 years old from Mavericks and the driver is still available in the OS. Now that’s support.

Jan 15, 2014 1:23 PM in response to jkycks

Confirmed same issue. Quark 9.5.4.1, Mavericks 10.9.1 Quad Core Xeon 2.8GHz with 3GB RAM, HP Designjet 510 - (upgraded to Raster Driver for 10.9) It prints about 5-10% smaller. We tried standard paper size and issue went away. We were lucky that there were standard sizes that were just a bit larger than our custom size. We will be using standard size paper and cut the excess off. Thankfully paper is cheap.

Might try a ~10% larger custom paper size and see if that works as well.

Note to Apple: do you HAVE to change the printing system on just about every release of the OS? Can you not decide on one printing system and stick with it for all iterations of the OS? Every time Apple releases an OS update we have to go through a printing mess! Argh! Seems like a waste of everyone's time to change your printing system with every release of the OS. Let alone the levels of frustration you are putting your user base and developers through.

Note #2: Please get with HP and fix this issue.

Jan 23, 2014 7:05 AM in response to jkycks

I had the same problem with shrinking prints to a Xerox (Freeflow Rip) and found that this only happens when using a user created custom paper size. So as long as I'm printing using a paper that is in the driver, I can print @ 100%. If I need to print a custom size I'm all done, and will have to send my customer elsewhere. I don't think that is a viable option APPLE. Or will you just tell people they'll have to by a PC to print custom paper sizes.

Print out size lost control after upgrade to osx 10.9, cannot print 100% document original size, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.