Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make more space on my mid june 2013 macbook air?

Hello!

My macbook air is very recent, it's the mid 2013 model. It has 4GB of storage, and 121 flash drive. Very minimal files are on the computer itself, and I backup most of my files to an external hard drive with ample space. Yet, my computer is close to being full and it seems the majority of it is filled with backups. How can I delete these backups/make more space?

User uploaded file

Thanks!

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 11:03 AM

4 replies

Nov 1, 2013 11:05 AM in response to rlevenson93

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion's Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Nov 2, 2013 3:11 PM in response to rlevenson93

If you're using Time Machine to back up a portable Mac, some of the free space will be used to make local snapshots, which are backup copies of files you've recently deleted. The space occupied by local snapshots is reported as available by the Finder, and should be considered as such. In the Storage display of System Information, local snapshots are shown as "Backups." The snapshots are automatically deleted when they expire or when free space falls below a certain level. You ordinarily don't need to, and should not, delete local snapshots yourself.

How can I make more space on my mid june 2013 macbook air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.