Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't scroll to the sides in Safari

I updated to Mavericks and I can't navigate to the previous or next page visited with two fingers on Safari.

If I want to go to previous page scrolling right with two fingers, the page barely starts to move and gets stuck. After that happens, the contents won't refresh in that page or tab. The other tabs will work but in none of them I'll be able to scroll anymore (up, down, left or right doesn't matter). I have to use the arrows in the keyboard, or Safari buttons or restart Safari! This happens in Google Chorme too.

As soon as I try to scroll side to side the browser gets stuck and scroll is broken. Can't believe such a basic feature is broken like this. But not to mention the LOTS of broken buttons everywhere in the Spanish Mavericks version. There are PLENTY of those in all Apple apps and System, for example in Disk Utility - although this is a different problem.

Anyone with this problem? And I don't want to activate the scroll bars all times, this doesn't fix the problem, I want it to work.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 6:52 PM

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2013 6:52 PM in response to Carola Clavo

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Nov 27, 2013 8:00 AM in response to Carola Clavo

Hi again.

I'd like to comment that from time to time, the scroll problem appears again, but not only in Safari, it happens in random apps and times. Right now I can't scroll inside any Finder window, but I can scroll up and down inside Twitter app and see my Timeline.

If I open a new window with many items inside to make sure I will need to scrool to view all its contents, it won't scroll at all. Like if scroll feature didn't exist at all. I can select the last item and then go down using the keyboard arrows and scroll bars the will appear.

I can't use the computer in safe mode or in other user all time to catch the bug, as it will happen randomly and it can take hours or days to appear.

After restarting the finder it works again in all the windows, the opened windows that didn't work before and any new windows. If this makes sense to you.

Can't scroll to the sides in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.