Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't write in Pages 09 documents with Mavericks

So I accidentally upgraded to Pages 5 on my ipad so then I had to install Mavericks and Pages 5 on my MacBook too (to allow syncing). Now Pages 5 is a complete disaster. It screws up all the lay-outs I created in 09 and doesn't allow me to create new ones as there are simply too many features missing. For instance, where did the blue lines do that tell you when an object is exactly in the middle of a page?! And dozens more.

Now, here's the thing. I was smart enough to save a copy of Pages 09, so I can still use that (even if it doesn't sync with my ipad). However, when I create a new document in Pages 09, there is no way to type in it anymore. As in, no cursor and no option to place it in the document. When I start typing, I get that annoying sound that indicates I'm trying to type somewhere that doesn't allow typing. Which is the main function of a word processing programme, so it's really weird!

Any suggestions?!!! I actually use Pages now and then as a professional, using it to create lay-outs for a publisher. So I am really dependent on the programme. I am also happy to hear suggestions for a different word processor! I used to love Pages, but now I'm just miserable.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 12:33 PM

I guess there is one positive note. The new IOS Pages exports to .docx format.

I have Pages ’09 v4.3 installed and upgraded OS X 10.8.5 to Mavericks. I have not installed Pages v5.0. I can open a new document, type at will, and save it.

Have you tried launching Pages ’09 from another account on your Mac? This will determine whether it is an installation issue, or a configuration issue unique to your login account. You may benefit from pressing shift+command+U and then launching Disk Utility to verify/repair permissions on your boot drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2013 12:33 PM in response to Emmi88

I guess there is one positive note. The new IOS Pages exports to .docx format.

I have Pages ’09 v4.3 installed and upgraded OS X 10.8.5 to Mavericks. I have not installed Pages v5.0. I can open a new document, type at will, and save it.

Have you tried launching Pages ’09 from another account on your Mac? This will determine whether it is an installation issue, or a configuration issue unique to your login account. You may benefit from pressing shift+command+U and then launching Disk Utility to verify/repair permissions on your boot drive.

Can't write in Pages 09 documents with Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.