Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Pay More than $99 for iPhone 5?

I just do not know the cellular industry at all. I have been very pleased with my Verizon account for many years.

Why are there 16GB CDMA iPhone 5 on eBay for $200, $300 and more - when one can purchase a new one from

Verizon for $99.95? Can the eBay ones be used with a SIM card globally? What can be done with an eBay

$200 16GB iPhone 5 that I could not accomplish with one from Verizon? I do not travel overseas - just stay in

California.

Thank you.

Clint Bradford

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 12:00 PM

Where can you still purchase iPhone 5 directly from Verizon? It doesn't seem to be on their website. Also, keep in mind the $99 is for a 2-yr contract, the ones you see above $300 do not require a contract extension/new contract.

Subsidies for iPhones are heavy. I'm preparing to spend $649 on the 5s, but only as a last option.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2013 12:00 PM in response to clintbradford

Where can you still purchase iPhone 5 directly from Verizon? It doesn't seem to be on their website. Also, keep in mind the $99 is for a 2-yr contract, the ones you see above $300 do not require a contract extension/new contract.

Subsidies for iPhones are heavy. I'm preparing to spend $649 on the 5s, but only as a last option.

Nov 1, 2013 12:27 PM in response to clintbradford

They need to go to THE CDMA carrier the phone was sold for. CDMA iPhones are not portable between carriers.

Yes, they still need to activate and pay for a voice and data plan to use it. But they are not locked into a 2 year contract. They can use it for 6 months and cancel service if they want. They can sell it to someone else who can use it for 6 months on Verizon, or for the next year, or 2, or 3.

If you get an iPhone from Verizon on contract, then cancel the service after 6 months, you owe an early termination fee that is quite a bit more than that.

Nov 1, 2013 12:35 PM in response to clintbradford

If you buy the $300 iPhone, you aren't stuck on a 2-year contract. What this means is that you'll still have an discounted upgrade on your line should you chose to get a newer phone like the iPhone 5s or whatever iPhone comes out next (so you don't pay the full $649, it would cost $199 instead). If you buy the $99 iPhone 5, you cannot upgrade at the discounted price for 2 years - you will have to pay full price, or go to eBay and buy an iPhone there.

Why Pay More than $99 for iPhone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.