Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What application should I use to open the files on my Western Digital "My Passport for mac"

What application should I use to open files that are on my Western Digital "My Passport for Mac"

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 12:50 PM

12 replies

Nov 1, 2013 12:53 PM in response to 56emily

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

You can use the Finder, which comes with Mac OS X > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2470?viewlocale=en_US

Connect the external drive, open a Finder window and choose the external disk in the Finder sidebar, under "Devices".

You can also make the external drive show up on Desktop. To do it, go to Finder menu (on the menu bar) > Preferences > General, and mark "External drives"

Nov 1, 2013 1:15 PM in response to mende1

I find my Passport for Mac in the Devices section. If I click on it then I get the option to click again on "backups" and so on till I get to where I double click on the preview. I click preview which should then open up what is actually on the Passport. What comes up is little side bar with various info and one of the options is to open the Passport but I have to tell it what application to use to open all the documents. The space below the "open with" option is blank and I have no idea what to put there so I can preview the documents on the Passport.

I had used the Time Machine originally for backing up but was told to turn it off cause it was just backing up everything and I only wanted files and photos. There was no way to customize the back up so WD told me to turn off time machine and just drag and drop files/etc to the Passport icon.

Nov 1, 2013 1:35 PM in response to 56emily

You can't open them. Moreover, the Back Up Now button tells you that this external drive is chosen as the Time Machine disk.

You should use Time Machine. Although you only need your personal files, it's important to make backups of the whole hard drive, so the task of restoring backups is much easier in case you replaced or erased the hard drive

What application should I use to open the files on my Western Digital "My Passport for mac"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.