Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does the new “download additional fonts” feature works?

I'm so happy to see that the “download additional fonts” feature has added in the newest iWork suite for iOS. In previous versions of iWork for iOS, available fonts are only limited to those that iOS has built in, which you can see a complete font list here: iOS 7: Font list.

And a couple of days ago, I found that the iOS 7 is now support “download additional fonts for Apps” feature. Which means that Apps can download a Apple-provided list of addtional fonts if necessary. And we can find this list of font in that support page given above.

So if you edit a pages / keynote / numbers file on a Mac using some fonts that iOS hasn't, then when you open it on an iOS device, it'll download the fonts for you to make your document more beautiful and personalized. That is to make sure that the document has exactly the appearance that you wanted.

But here comes the question:

1. Sometimes, those addtional downloaded fonts are available for all the documents in that App, and sometime they are only available on that particular document. Any idea how does this function work? Is it a normal function, or is it a bug waiting to be fixed?
  2. The downloaded "addtional fonts" are only limited to that App you're using. For example, you can access the fonts in which the App you downloaded them. So if you're using Pages to download fonts, you won't be able use them in Keynote. In other words, you have to download them again, and this will obviously take a large amount of storage space on my device if I want to use those fonts in every App. So again, is it a normal function, or is it a bug?

Any solutions, guys? A thousand thanks in advance!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 7:46 AM

This isn't totally new, as it was part of iOS 6 as well:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5484

But since it really only applied to Asian fonts, it was not of much interest to other users.

Could you give an example the fonts not being available in other documents in a particular app?

I think confining the extra font to individual apps would be considered by Apple to be their standard desired behavior and not a bug. It is the way iOS works in general.

Have you actually checked the amount of storage space these fonts take up? I doubt it is very large.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2013 7:46 AM in response to Morlin's

This isn't totally new, as it was part of iOS 6 as well:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5484

But since it really only applied to Asian fonts, it was not of much interest to other users.

Could you give an example the fonts not being available in other documents in a particular app?

I think confining the extra font to individual apps would be considered by Apple to be their standard desired behavior and not a bug. It is the way iOS works in general.

Have you actually checked the amount of storage space these fonts take up? I doubt it is very large.

Nov 2, 2013 8:48 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks buddy! I just figured out the so called problem a few minutes ago. I think it's a iCloud syncing speed problem, you just have to wait for a long time for iCloud deploy the fonts in the App. In order to use them in every document. Or maybe it's my network's problem.

But it does take a lot of space if you download the additional fonts. All of the official 181 downloadable fonts will take approximately more than 400 MB of storage space. Earlier this week, I uploaded a screenshot of iOS confirm dialog box showing the fonts will take that much of space. But administrator have deleted that post for the text content is the same with this one.

I really appreciate your kind help. Thanks!

How does the new “download additional fonts” feature works?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.