Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OpenGL Problem

I have a clamshell ibook with OS 9 and i was using the emulator KiGB (plays gameboy games) and when i opened it, it gave me a message telling me that the opengl extension was missing or old. can anyone please tell me how to update opengl to its latest and best version so i can play games and make my computer happy?

iBook 366/G3 Indigo, Mac OS 9.2.x, Its a Clamshell! (Firewire)

Posted on Jul 7, 2006 2:03 PM

19 replies

Jul 8, 2006 12:22 AM in response to Expressive Indigo

Hi, Expressive Indigo -

If you have not yet changed the View for the Extensions folder to View as List, do so - you can make that change in the View menu while that folder is the active one. You may then need to stretch the folder's window a bit to the right to see the column headed Version - that column will display the version number for each item in the Extensions folder.

Note that in List view you can change the width or the Left-Right order of each of the columns by dragging on the divide between the title for each column, or the title of the column itself.

If by chance there is no column titled Version, you can add that by going to View Options in the View menu and checkmarking the Version item.

Jul 8, 2006 12:43 AM in response to Don Archibald

I'm sorry, i missed the part on showing the version number in your explaination. its 1.2.4 for all except the one stated as "ati renderer". it say 1.2.8.

by the way, please note that i am a very experienced computer user and explainations on how to do small things like switching to list view are unnecessary (how do i spell that?).
thanks 🙂

Jul 8, 2006 12:54 AM in response to Expressive Indigo

Hi, Expressive Indigo -

OK.

You did not state which operating system version you are using, OS 9.2.1 or OS 9.2.2 (since there is no version OS 9.2 applicable to any model except the original G4 QuickSilvers, that version can not be on your machine). However, the version numbers for the OpenGL extensions are correct for OS 9.2.2 - there is no later version available.

Make sure that both Apple Guide and QuickDraw 3D are enabled in Extensions Manager.

Make sure that the file Text Encoding Converter is present in the Extensions folder (it does not appear in Extensions Manager), that the folder named Text Encodings (loose in the System Folder) contains exactly 15 files (no more, no less), and that Text Encoding Converter and the 15 files in the Text Encodings folder are all version 1.6.

Jul 8, 2006 1:09 AM in response to Don Archibald

Hi, Expressive Indigo -

Did some checking, which I perhaps should have done before rather than assuming you'd checked KiGB's requirements and hence it's applicability for your machine.

According to MacUpdate's listing for KiGB it requires OSX 10.4 or later.

My first clue to that was noting that the download link for it on Richard Bammister's page for KiGB notes that its filename ends with .dmg - this explicitly calls it out as an OSX item, since .dmg files are created by OSX's version of Disk Copy.

It will not run in OS 9 (any version).

Jul 8, 2006 3:46 PM in response to Don Archibald

This is where things get cloudy to all. bannister has a link for his software for older OS's. mine was on that page: http://www.mac-emu.net/~bannister/filemirror/
i did a command-f and typed kigb to find it in the list.
it is the original for os 9 and comes as an sit file. it has since been dropped by bannister but is still for download to any unfortunate invidual like myself.
i also did not find the file text extension in my extensions folder. i have a list of missing extensions my computer put out and i need to find a way to get them. i'll give you the list shortly.

OpenGL Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.