Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote iOS 7 Portrait Orientation

Hello,

Before I purchase Keynote for my iPhone 5 (I am not eligable for the free upgrade) could anyone help and confirm for me that presentations can be viewed in portrait mode on the iPhone? Or iPad for that matter.

The reason being is that I design apps and use Keynote for prototyping on the Mac. It would be great to show clients interactive prototypes on iPhones, however with past versions of Keynote for iOS we have never been able to view presentations in portrait mode.

I appreciate any insight and help.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 2:10 PM

Unfortunately, Keynote for iPad has never worked in Portrait mode, the latest version included.

18 replies

Apr 10, 2014 11:21 AM in response to svenreed

I would like to resurface this discuss with the context of the latest iWorks update to iOS.

Like some of you, I commonly use iOS Keynote to prototype mobile app concepts for iPhone 5, and I have to build my presentations sideways to make the presentation feel like it's in portrait mode. Quite annoying. I was really excited for the latest iWorks update because it said that Keynote for iOS added "New portrait layout options in presenter display".

I didn't know if this meant they added portrait mode within presenter display while remote connecting to a second screen. Or does this mean new portrait viewing mode while presenting (which is what we really want).

Your insite would be valuable.

Apr 10, 2014 11:49 AM in response to akettl

I noticed this update too. However I think what Apple is referring to is presenting in portrait mode on an external display. I could be wrong, but after running through every menu on Keynote for iOS I've yet to find the ability to present in portrait mode.

*waits for the day when there is legitimate prototyping software.

Jun 10, 2014 1:00 PM in response to Scot Walker

It's June 10, 2014 now.

I have seen 1 session talking about prototyping in WWDC 2014 videos mentioned that "Launch the same presentation on the keynote on the ipod touch to get the sense of how it feels".

And the demonstration video looks like they get the prototype slide in portrait layout displayed correctly on an ipod touch.

Does anyone know how to acheive that?

(that's session 223, prototyping: fake it till you make it)

User uploaded file

Jun 10, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Kaba Su

Maybe it's coming.

How awesome would it be if you could create a presentation in Keynote and then publish it to the iTunes Store so customers and employees could download it as an app to their iPad?

I had a client ask me about creating their product catalog for iPad as an app. I could easily create it in Keynote, with interactive menus, but every end user would need Keynote to view it and they would be able to edit it.

Thanks for the heads up

Jun 13, 2014 2:09 AM in response to Kaba Su

I also wanted to know how the Apple guys did it in their wwdc example:

I downloaded the session sample files from http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/toastmodern_sample (as indidcated on the last screen in the presentation).

The "trick":

Their workaround was: Rotate the content and put it on 1136x640 landscape slides.

Unfortunately, it is a lot of work to design the screens in portrait and then rotate to another slide format. And it also has some problems with font sizes etc.

Really bad that keynote for iOS does not support portrait slides :-(

Jul 31, 2014 4:19 AM in response to d.estermann

It got pretty old rotating everything manually, so I made a script to automatically do it. It's written using the new javascript scripting stuff so you'll need Yosemite to get it to work. Here it is:

https://gist.github.com/ericallam/a5cd76651c327b116a6e

Open the Script Editor and copy and paste that code into a new Javascript script. Then Export it as an application. You can then drag and drop keynote documents on the exported application and it will automatically resize the keynote document into landscape, and rotate and resize everything correctly. Then just ship the Keynote document over to Keynote for iPhone and it should work. I've used this script for the last couple of weeks, on multiple different prototypes, so it should hopefully work for your prototypes also. Let me know if you run into anything that needs to be fixed.

Aug 17, 2014 3:55 AM in response to eallam

Unfortunately your javascript does not work on my keynote presentation, maybe because I have a chart in it which does not have the rotation option - nice try though.

I too was fascinated how an app can be prototyped with Keynote from that WWDC14 talk... So I bought Keynote for Mac and Keynote for iPhone... waste of money 😠

Keynote iOS 7 Portrait Orientation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.