Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard DVD not working

I have 10.5.8 currently - Today my installation DVD for Snow Leopard (10.6.3) arrived in the post. The DVD is not working in my iMac when I put it in my disk drive. When I put it in, after about 15 seconds, the computer ejects it again.

I've tried the CD facing both ways, but there has been no different result.

I've checked that my Mac has all the other criteria needed to install Snow Leopard, and it meets all points.

Is this a hardware, software, compatibility issue?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 2:36 PM

13 replies

Nov 1, 2013 3:11 PM in response to sanjampet

I've tried using the C key during startup, no luck.

I've also cleaned the disc as well ,although I've noticed a couple of patterns/marks in the CD back face.

Having said that, I've tried this disc in a Mac that has 10.9 running, and it loads up just fine.

I also tried a Michael Buble CD in my Mac with 10.5.8, and it loads up with no problems at all.

Confusing...

Nov 1, 2013 3:21 PM in response to liamml

Does your machine meet the requirements?

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard system requirements

To install Snow Leopard for the first time, you must have a Mac with:

• An Intel processor
  • An internal or external DVD drive, or DVD or CD Sharing
  • At least 1 GB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended)
  • A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
  • At least 5 GB of disk space available, or 7 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools

For more information, see the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installation guide

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#mac%20os%20x%20v10.6%20installation%20and%20se tup%20guide

Nov 2, 2013 3:23 AM in response to liamml

How come you received yesterday in the mail an install DVD of Snow Leopard 10.6.3, when the latest version (still available from the App Store, by the way) is 10.6.8? Is it a used DVD you bought on, say, eBay? If so, is it a retail version (i.e. one that can be installed on any Mac meeting the specs sanjampet reminded us of, or a DVD that came originally with another Mac?

If the latter, you're in trouble, because it won't install on yours. If the former, then you're in the same wagon as several other users who recently tried to upgrade or update their OS, and got stuck, probably because a recent firmware updgrade now prevents them from installing a different version of OS X than the one that was already there when the firmware got upgraded.

Nov 2, 2013 3:45 AM in response to seventy one

seventy one wrote:

Hello FT,

It has been mentioned before that the DVD disks supplied may only be for 10.6.3 and it is necessary to use the Combo update, followed by software update to bring in the recent security and iTunes updates.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

I just learned something new (one of the many reasons I visit this website). It's still a mystery to me why Apple won't just sliptstream the latest major update to date in its retail DVDs, but they probably have their hands full maintaining more recent versions of OS X.

It had never occurred to me that retail SL DVDs could still contain 10.6.3... 😊 Thanks, seventy one!

Anyway, as sanjampet posted, this is how a retail DVD looks like. If it's dark grey, it won't work.

Nov 2, 2013 11:19 AM in response to liamml

We've seen several threads on this forum lately, that dealt with the same issue, more or less: people owning legitimate copies of a retail SL DVD, who are incapable of (re)installing the OS on their Mac, without any obvious reason other than their Mac was subject to a firmware upgrade between the last install and today.

I may have missed something, of course, but I can't help wondering if the recent firmware upgrades on Macs ranging from 2009 MBPs to 2011 iMacs isn't responsible for this.

Snow Leopard DVD not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.