Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote desktop 3.7 "Full Quality" mouse lag

Hi guys,

Since upgrading my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion and my Mac Mini running Mountain Lion Server to Mavericks and Mavericks Server respectively, Apple Remote Desktop was also upgraded to 3.7.

Now when run a remote control session on my W/LAN with ARD with the same settings I have always used, to my Mac Mini server, the mouse is extremely laggy making it very difficult to control. Both the ARD client and server are on version 3.7. The resolution of the display on the Mini is 1920 x 1080.

I have just tested remote control with my partners MacBook Air which is still on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and ARD version 3.6.2 and it is mostly OK. The screen resolution is 1440 x 900. Only in some programs do I have issues with the mouse tracking correctly. Like when Safari 6.0.5 is in the Top Sites view the mouse control goes all laggy and he cursor disappears from screen until it leaves the Safari window.

I then upgraded the ARD client on her computer to 3.7 with no noticable impact on performance. I did notice however that using ARD in full screen mode worked a little more reliably.

So I've gone back to my Mini to see if the same full screen helped mouse control and it didn't. I then tried reducing the image quality from Full Quality to Adaptive Quality and BAM! The problem is gone. Including my partners MacBook Air when in the Top Sites view Safari.

Which begs the question, what broke in the 3.7 such that you cant use Full Quality on a W/LAN?

I appear to be the only person experienceing this issue as I have been googling this problem since upgrading to 3.7. Or are there others out there with the same or similar experiences?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 2:57 PM

12 replies

Nov 2, 2013 9:52 PM in response to defecta

I have been experiencing the same issue. Mostly seems to happen when using ARD on OSX Server 10.9 and connecting with client machines running 10.9 outside of the LAN. No issue inside the LAN or when contacting machines running 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, etc.

Thanks for the tip about using Adaptive Quality: it helped a lot and will at least be workable until there is a fix.

Nov 3, 2013 11:58 PM in response to newtrawn

So it would seem this issue is pretty easy to reproduce. Which makes me wonder how much testing this 3.7 update got before release. Unpressed. Anyone got a developer account that is willing to submit this as a bug? I know Apple never check these forums so there is zero chance of them reaching out and helping us here.

Nov 10, 2013 12:49 AM in response to newtrawn

Hey guys,

Just thought I would let you know that I just did a fresh install of Mavericks as opposed to the upgrade from Mountain Lion because I was having heaps of issues since upgrading to Mavericks. (Steve you are sorely missed mate. The crappy software Apple is releasing these days is horrifying!)

My ARD mouse lag issues are now gone but now the screen redraws take ages. I've timed it and it takes 10 seconds for the screen to update. I dont know whats worse, mouse lag or screen??

Nov 10, 2013 3:14 AM in response to defecta

I just made an interesting discovery. The issues I am experiencing only apply when my Mac Mini is connected to my router via ethernet. Connected via WiFi its the same performance on Full Quality settings as prior to Mavericks. =/

I have been running Remote Desktop from my MacBook Pro via wireless also.

Is anyone else connecting to their remote Mac via the same methodology as myself?

Jan 3, 2014 5:47 AM in response to defecta

Hello!

Same problem here for me:

Some ARD clients behind a vpn-tunnel.

ARD admin cpmputer running 10.9.1 and ARD 3.7.1

There is no problem with clients running 10.6.8, 10.7.5 and 10.8.5 with ARD client 3.5.4, 3.7 and 3.7.1

But clients with 10.9.* and ARD client 3.7.* is it impossible to do remote control. It does not matter which color/quality mode i select. The mouse movement is extremly sluggish and lagging - it takes a few seconds until the mouse settles down - I need about 10 seconds to close a window.

Once again all clients are controlled via the same vpn tunnel from the same ARD admin-computer.

Apple has to fix it ASAP. We rely on reliable software products.

Bye,

Christoph

Jan 18, 2014 8:28 AM in response to defecta

Just discovered this problem after using my new iMac to control my now headless Mac Mini (on the same desk). What's strange is that if I connect a monitor to the Mini the mouse lag in ARD on the iMac disappears. When I disconnect the monitor it instantly returns?

Looks like this is a known issue with headless Minis.

http://blog.macminicolo.net/post/33839671756/build-a-dummy-dongle-for-a-headless -mac-mini

Message was edited by: mullen8

remote desktop 3.7 "Full Quality" mouse lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.