Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Options for getting crash report for third-party applications

I am writing an application for Mac OS X ( >= 10.8). This is not an AppStore app. I would like to make the process of submitting crash reports as easy as possible for my customers. I have found lots of threads on this but most are pretty old and so I would like to recheck the state of this.

1) Is it still true that CrashReporter does not allow overriding the upload path for the crash?

2) Is it still true that third-parties don't have access to the crash reports for their own apps when those reports are uploaded to Apple?

3) Can I get CrashReporter to build the crash report without showing a UI? This no-UI restriction would have to be applied only to my App ... I don't want to change global settings. I would need to do this from my applications code (can't ask customer to change some conf file). Then I could possibly let the reporter generate the file and then popup my UI (either immediately or next time my app is launched perhaps)

4) Can I get CrashReporter to show my UI instead of the built in one? Seems unlikely, but I thought I would ask.

5) Can I use the code which generates the crash report in CrashReporter as a lib that I link to and run in my own application? I don't mind their report format and since I assume their library will always work across OS versions, seems like this would be nice.

6) What are other third-party apps using? I saw references to BreakPad, but I am a bit nervous about this running in process. I saw a couple of other libs but none seem to have any activity for years so that made me nervous.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Lee

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 4:15 PM

There are no replies.

Options for getting crash report for third-party applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.