Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my keyboard and trackpad not work well?

The keyboard and trackpad on my MacBook Pro does not work well all the time. Anything I can do to correct this?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 4:09 PM

7 replies

Nov 2, 2013 5:06 AM in response to ncantu1

I think you will have to take the MBP into the genius bar for examination.

You may try a PRAM reset for the keyboard issue but I have my doubts for success:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

In regards to the trackpad, often a thorough cleaning will restore functionality. Also take off the bottom panel and inspect the battery. Sometimes a battery will expand and interfere with the trackpad.

Ciao.

Nov 24, 2013 6:54 PM in response to Linc Davis

I'm having erratic moves with my trackpad, used to have it a year ago when I first bought it but I fixed it by pressing the four corners of it, now that I installed Mavericks I'm having the same problem again but this time pressing the corners doesn't fixed it, any suggestion?! is it software or hardware?

MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch, Mavericks, Mid 2012

Cheers

Dec 2, 2013 4:49 AM in response to ncantu1

I've been experiencing some problem with my trackpad as well and solved it by resetting the NVRAM / PRAM. Hope this will be helpful to the ones with the same issues:

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. If issues persist, your Mac's logic board battery (not a portable Mac's rechargeable battery) may need to be replaced. The logic board battery helps retain NVRAM/PRAM settings when your computer is shut down. You can take your Mac to a Mac Genius or Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the battery on the logic board.

Why does my keyboard and trackpad not work well?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.