Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete the large number (dozens per file) of duplicate files created on exernal drive when I transferred large number of files several times? (same names + a #)

I thought I was moving files to an external drive, and did so several times to make sure all were moved befoe deleteing them for my Mac, but it turns out more recent versions of OS X don't overwrite duplicates but create a series of files with a serial number, e.g., FileABC 2, FileABC 3, FileABC 4. So now I have dozens of duplicates of given files on my external drive. There are thousands that must be deleted!

I've downloaded two software packages that are supposed to flag and delete duplicates, but neither seems to help in this regard (Duplicate Finder and Decloner).

Pleae help!

Steven

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 4:13 PM

7 replies

Nov 1, 2013 4:22 PM in response to Steven Rosenberg1

You can try this, if you are sure that the "ABC1" and all sucsessive "ABC2,3".. etc. are the same, you can hold the COMMAND key down and select all the duplicates.(as long as you hold down the COMMAND key it should keep selecting) After selecting click delete, or COMMAND delete, then secure empty the trash and they will be gone. Be sure of your selections before deleting. Still tedious, but probably safer than trying some software that you have apparently not had sucess with.

Nov 1, 2013 5:34 PM in response to sanjampet

Greetings. There are too many different files with different names to go that way, but I found a solution: all the files (or almost all) have at least one common name in them. I've used finder to search for that name and " #" in the name. This will work at least from the very high numbers to the single digits of copies...) stay tuned...

Nov 1, 2013 5:54 PM in response to Steven Rosenberg1

Try leaving the # out and check the results for how it was indexed, then extrapolate from there is all I can say, or would do, so as not to trash anything important.

I am only trying to be honest here, and do not want you to make a dire mistake. maybe someone else who has a better grasp on this type of "search and destroy" mission will chime in.

Hope this helped you some

Nov 1, 2013 7:01 PM in response to Steven Rosenberg1

Well, make sure your TM drive is not connected while doing your search.

If you are good then sweet🙂

If you have your TM B/U on the internal drive, you should consider putting it on an external drive, that way you can search by drive.

In another note, you should also have a redundant B/U drive which is a clone (bootable which you can restore from)

Check these out, I use CCC and it has been a godsend.

/http://www.bombich.com/

As well as:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/iphone/13803/superduper!

How do I delete the large number (dozens per file) of duplicate files created on exernal drive when I transferred large number of files several times? (same names + a #)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.