Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS X Leopard on an iMac G4?

I have an iMac G4 700mhz with 1gb RAM and I was wondering if the combo drive can read DL DVD's? I am looking to buying a copy of OS X Leopard off of ebay (not a grey disk), but I am worried about it not being able to read DL DVD's. Before you all go blabbering on about it not being a supported machine, I have seen a computer just like my iMac G4 with same specs running 10.5.8 and it ran it pretty smoothly, and I am willing to take the chance. I do have Leopard Assist on a USB Flash Drive (doing that because if they ever take the download off the Internet, I have a copy) and will be getting a legit copy of OS X Leopard. If it doesn't read DL DVD's, is it possible to shrink OS X Leopard to a Single Layer DVD? I have seen it on the internet it being done, but is it legal to do for one, and for 2, would it actually work? Also, is it possible to replace the combo drive with something else, because I do have a Mad Dog IDE drive that looks the same size. Please give me any suggestions, and please don't point out your disapproval, I understamd what I am doing and I understand that it isn't supported by Apple. Thanks!

iMac (Flat Panel), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:11 PM

5 replies

Nov 2, 2013 11:41 AM in response to therich123

I have not read of someone being able to boot off of a usb drive on a g4. Let us know if this works.

People have installed leopard on the g4 700 machines. The easiest way is to change the reported clock speed for the duration of the boot. You do not change the real clock speed.

I'd try to find an external firewire dvd reader. I put a full size dvd reader in an external firewire hd exclosure. Looks a little odd. Everything was exposed & hangin' out. Works find.

You could try target disk mode if you have another mac around.

http://www.dan-taylor.com/reinstalling-mac-os-x-without-a-dvd-drive-target-disk- mode/

Nov 2, 2013 2:43 PM in response to rccharles

You misread a little, Leopard Assist is on my flash drive, as in the program that tricks Leopard into thinking I have a 933MHZ processor. OS X Leopard is on a DL DVD. I am wondering if the original combo drive can read a DL DVD. I can't test it at the ment as for I don't have the Leopard install DVD with me. Besides that, installing by USB 1.1 would be painful. I am trying to figure if the combo drive in here can read Dual Layer Discs or if I need to get an external disc drive. If I need to get an external disc drive, then would my external USB Superdrive work? I have it hooked up to my current model Mac Mini, but not sure if it works with older hardware.

Nov 2, 2013 5:22 PM in response to therich123

If I need to get an external disc drive, then would my external USB Superdrive work?

No. I think you can install onto an external usb hd but, you cannot boot an external USB hd with a PPC.

I have it hooked up to my current model Mac Mini, but not sure if it works with older hardware.

You may be able to use the mini for target disk mode... try this
http://www.dan-taylor.com/reinstalling-mac-os-x-without-a-dvd-drive-target-disk- mode/

Another way of installing 10.5.

http://nanchatte.wordpress.com/2008/03/21/directly-install-a-shop-copy-of-leopar d-on-an-imac-700mhz-or-even-an-unmodified-g4-cube/

I've read several of this post about installing 10.5 on slower g4 machines. I haven't noticed any cautions about not being able to read the dvd.

Mar 31, 2014 8:04 PM in response to rccharles

I just booted my MacMini G4 from an external BluRay player so I could install OS X Server 10.5.8 on it, today.

- Boot into OpenFirmware

- Boot PPC while holding Apple, Option, O, F

- type: dev / ls

- look for the /pci@f2000000 entry, and below it you will see USB references. I booted only with a KB and drive attached, but for me, the disk showed up as: /pci@f2000000/usb@1b/disk@1 - this is the external BluRay player I am using.

- type: devalias ud /<the path of your CD\DVD device from above> For me, it looked like this:

devailias ud /pci@f2000000/usb@1b/disk@1

- make sure your alias works: dir ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices

You should get a listing of files including one called BootX

- To boot off of the installer, type: boot ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX

Cheers, and good luck.

d

Installing OS X Leopard on an iMac G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.